Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy Saturday!

It is nice to be home. Our visit with Daddy was really great. He is doing well and we talked about the times we missed Mom. I went to her closet and found Daddy’s clothing inside. It no longer smelled like her and the beautiful colors of her clothes were not there to greet me. There was certain finality in this moment and in the knowledge that “She is gone,” but we had a great visit.

I am in the process of gathering a fan base for Travis and his power lifting competition next Saturday. I think Ken, Sheena and Dad are coming and maybe some of the girls. This is Travis’ first professional competition. We are all very excited for him. Please pray that he stays healthy and unhurt this week and during the competition. In case any of you would like to come and support our local boy…the event is being held at the Mesquite Convention Center from 10:00 to 4:00. I think the cost to get in is around $15.00. Travis will compete in the last two events. Geni and I will be there around 11:30. Bruce will be coming in from Decatur. We would love to see you there!

Also, Sheena’s dad, Max Pratt, celebrated his 80th birthday today with a wonderful celebration in Sherman. Happy Birthday, Max!

Prayer: “Father, I do not want to fear the wonderful practice of witnessing for You. It is an honor to testify of Your grace and greatness. Help me depend daily on the power You provide to be an effective witness. Amen.”

Acts 1: 8 “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witness to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

I personally have never gone out into a neighborhood, knocked on doors and been a witness for Christ. My witnessing has always been in singing or sharing my faith in writing or in front of or in a group. I have witnessed to individuals, but never in the ways church evangelism teams go out and share the gospel. But praise God there are those who carry the burden for getting the gospel out in our neighborhoods and on the streets. These are such brave folks. Do you suppose they prayed before they knocked on that first door saying, “Lord, please don’t let these folks be at home.” But when the door opened I will bet their quick prayer changed and said, “Lord, just give me the words to say.”

I think all of us have moments of witnessing anxiety when sharing the gospel of Jesus with those we do not know or even those we know very well. But friends, when we know the truth of the gospel the words will just come, because we have been called to witness to those who do not know Jesus. The power to do this witnessing for Christ comes from the power of the Holy Spirit. Because we are disciples we are commanded to make disciples. I think our anxiety about witnessing goes away pretty quickly when we begin to tell of the Lord’s goodness, His love, forgiveness and tender mercies. When we recognize our weaknesses and depend on Him in that the very moment we become powerful witnesses for our Lord. When we get out of the way and let the Lord work through us using us in His Words and His authority, then we become His powerful witnesses everywhere we go!

No matter how you witness, whether in the written word, song, kind deeds done for others, chatting over coffee, addressing groups of people , being within a group of people or bravely knocking on doors in a neighborhood, God’s Holy Word through the life of Jesus driven by the power of the Holy Spirit working in each of us makes us God’s fearless witnesses!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. See you in worship. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: