Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Happy Wednesday!

What a wonderful day filled with the all kinds of potential and a great deal of hope. I met with the pastor of Rush Creek Christian concerning Supervised Ministry. He is going to propose this program to the church board Thursday evening including me as the one to be supervised. Rush Creek is a healthy, solid congregation with strong passion for social justice and a need for some extra help in pastoral care. The pastor is willing to be my supervisor. He is a great guy whom I would be very pleased to have as a mentor and supervisor.

During this meeting with the pastor, I received two phone calls. These phone calls were from two of the hospitals where I have applied for CPE for the summer. I have an interview scheduled for Monday at Methodist Health Charleton in Duncanville and Hughley Hospital in Fort Worth. The Chaplain at Hughley is going to contact me on Monday to set up an interview. There are lots of changes coming my way. Pray for me to be willing to be led by the Holy Spirit and go where I can learn to best.

Prayer: “ Lord Jesus, I praise Your name for being my provider and protector as I seek to live for You this day. I ask You to deliver me from evil and to enable me to finish my race with joy. I desire to finish strong and influence the lives of people You have placed around me during my journey here. I submit myself to Your leadership and grace this morning. In Jesus’ name. Amen”

I John 2: 27 “But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.”

When I first read this passage I had to step back and re-read and pray a while before I reflected on it. As a career teacher, I found the phrase “and you do not need that anyone teach you” stung just a bit. As a teacher and sometimes preacher it is always my hope that the things that I say to others will have meaning for them and be positive talk. When I usually speak I speak with enthusiasm. The reflection tonight speaks of the word “charisma.” In Greek, the word charisma means “anointed.” The definition further goes on to say that the word literally means to “smear on ,” to take ointment and “smear it on” as medicine.

In the Old Testament when the priests anointed themselves or others with oil it was an indication that they were empowered by the Holy Spirit and set apart for a certain task. This verse from 1 John reminds us that at our salvation we have been anointed with the power of the Holy Spirit living within us.

We all need teachers, but the greatest teacher we will ever have is the Holy Spirit working within us. The Holy Spirit is our resident teacher of truth. I often ask God to help me understand what I do not understand and to give me knowledge and wisdom beyond myself. Each morning in my prayer time I ask God to help me understand what my teachers are teaching and have it make meaning for me in the life I am currently leading and in the one I desire to live. So when the time comes for me to perform the duties of a chaplain I will be given the words that someone needs and have them make meaning in their lives. I pray the Holy Spirit will slather the gift of understanding and the words I need to help someone when they are in need. Please pray this for me and for yourselves.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Thank you so much for your prayers for Bruce. He seems to get stronger by the day and is walking almost completely upright. Peace, gc

No comments: