Friday, March 23, 2012

Happy Thursday! (Written Thursday, posted Friday)

Last evening after preparing dinner for approximately 70 people prior to Lenten services I was exhausted and kept falling asleep while attempting to read the scripture passages. So I closed up shop and went to sleep.

Prayer alert: Bruce was stepping off a ladder a couple of days ago and has caused his sacroiliac to lock up. He is in terrible pain. He went to the chiropractor this morning and will go back tomorrow. We are hoping to go and spend a couple of days with Dad after this dr.’s visit. Please pray for his pain to ease and the doc to make the adjustments to unlock these joints. Thank you.

Prayer: “I surrender completely to You. May Your Spirit fill me, and may I be further transformed today in to the image of Your Son. In His name I pray. Amen.”

Acts 2: 38 “Then Peter said to them, “Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

This text is from Peter’s sermon on the Day of Pentecost. Peter minces no words when he proclaims to his audience that in order for them to receive forgiveness of their sins and receive salvation they must repent of their sins and claim Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. Repentance means turning away from sin, but turning way from sin is not possible without turning to Jesus in faith.

Peter tells this gathering that they must be baptized in Jesus’ name. At the moment of this confession they will receive the Holy Spirit. To be baptized in the name of Jesus means that one has responded to Jesus in faith and confessed Him as their personal Lord and Savior.

Another gift received at the moment of salvation is the gift of the Holy Spirit. This gift is for ALL who believe. This gift of the Holy Spirit unites us with other baptized believers empowering and transforming us, making us fit for God to use us in service to His call through Jesus. This transformation continues for the rest of our lives.

For this transformation to continue as we grow into the likeness of Christ we must surrender our wills each day. When we surrender daily the will of God grows in us and we are sanctified by Christ.

Take joy in the journey! Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Give thanks for the transforming power of the crucified Christ in our lives. Please pray for Bruce. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

An extra prayer: We are planning to go to Dad’s house tomorrow. I have thought about this all day. I have thought about the empty closet that once was Mom’s. It was once filled with her clothes and filled with the fragrance of her perfume. That closet brought me comfort in the days immediately following her passing. And even though I helped clean out that closet I realized today that her presence will not be there. I have had some sad moments when I think about it. Please pray and help me go through this moment of grief. Thanks. Peace, gc

No comments: