Thursday, December 8, 2011

Happy Wednesday!

Ok, so yesterday we were up to our knees and cold, wet and unpleasant weather and today it was chilly and beautiful! God does really good work!

Prayer: “Lord, today my greatest desire is to live with eternity in mind. Remind me throughout the day that I need Your grace as much as those around me. Give me sensitivity for people who are open to the saving gospel of Jesus Christ. Protect me from apathy, fear and laziness as I seek to be a witness for You. Empower me to walk with integrity as I seek to reflect the transforming power of Your grace. Increase my joy each time I hear what You are doing in the lives of others. Thank you for saving me. Amen.”

Luke 15:7 “I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who do not need to repent.”

The opening question to my meditation tonight was “What causes you to rejoice?” It is interesting that someone else today asked me a similar question. I am concerned over finals and grades. In very practical terms I am concerned because passing my classes well and keeping my GPA up allows me to continue in the seminary with a generous grant that helps pay my tuition each year. I also have embarked on this path because I am on an extraordinary spiritual journey. Which of these two should be more important? These two questions require a very honest evaluation of myself and who I really am.

I have thought about both of these journeys, academic and spiritual. On the very practical side when I have completed my studies the desired outcome of my studies at Brite will be ordination into the ministry. But on the spiritual side the outcome should be increased spiritual growth and awareness of God’s working in each soul out of His love. Today I learned that in order for me to achieve this type of spiritual growth I have to empty myself of this world each day so that God can live fully in me. When God lives fully in me then the woman God intends for me to be will be able to grow in His likeness according to His grace. The greatest admission I can make is to realize that there is nothing I can do to qualify for God’s grace. Instead of worrying about grades and doing well on my own power. I need to come to know Christ more intimately. When I have learned this extraordinary lesson then the next task is for me to make Him known to others in the most authentic way possible.

Will I still work hard in my classes and study my best for finals? Yes. But now I will pray for God to work beside me and help me to learn and remember what I am to know. When the time comes to be tested then I will give my best and ask God to bless my efforts and continue to remain with me during testing. That will cause me to rejoice!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and a warm jacket. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and pray for me in my spiritual growth and academic journey, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: