Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Happy Tuesday!

I have spent the day completing the identification of the 20 terms for the history final due next week. Two essay questions more and I can put this class to bed for this semester. Tomorrow I will begin to write the paper for my education class and then it is on to the study for Old Testament which my professor prefers we call Hebrew Bible.

Prayer: “Father, give me the strength throughout this day to think sanctified thoughts. Thank You for revealing much of Your will for my life within the pages of the Holy Scripture. Give me eyes to see and a heart to yield to these things consistent with Your Holy Word. Protect me from the temptation of rationalizing sin, leaving me clearly outside the boundaries of sanctification. Mature me by Your grace and uphold me by Your mercy. I honor You for never leaving me or forsaking me, even when I stumble. In Jesus’ name, Amen”

Acts 16: 31 “And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house.”

The Apostle Paul was in prison and the jailer came to him in the night asking what he must do to be saved. Paul simply said, “Believe.” Then he says the really wonderful thing, “and your house.” Can you imagine having the famous Apostle Paul telling you that all you have to do to achieve salvation is to believe? So how is the house saved also? Well, I do not know about you, but if the Apostle Paul told me to believe, I am pretty sure I would and then I would go and tell somebody else. The jailer receives salvation and then takes Paul and the others (those who are imprisoned also?) to his home; bathes their wounds and then baptizes them. He sets a meal before them. Then he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole family!

WOW! What rejoicing that must have been within the lives of this jailer and his family to have received salvation through belief in Jesus and receive baptism by one of His apostles. Do you suppose the jailer had any fear of losing his job or receiving punishment for this act of escape? I don’t think the jailer gave it a thought because he was in the presence of God through this Apostle and he and his family were standing on holy ground being protected by the Holy Spirit. If you continue reading the next few verses you will find that magistrates sent their officers to the home of the jailer with the order to release Paul and Silas, bidding them to go in peace.

The jailer and his family were assured salvation and then brought into a new community of believers who could help them on this new and exciting road of Christianity. God assures us in His Word that this house is very safe in His keeping due to their relationship with God through Jesus. When was the last time we were excited enough about our salvation to tell somebody else about it?

As the Hebrew nation was returning from exile, Isaiah, in chapter 40, wrote the opening words “Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed.” Throughout the Bible we are asked to tell others what God has done for us and that all we have to do to receive salvation is to ask and believe. God initiates our coming into relationship with Him and it is our responsibility to proclaim His Word to the people.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and bundle up! Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: