Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Happy Monday!

OMG!!! Tonight Bruce and I had the most wonderful time at Bass Hall. I think I shared with you that a friend of mine from Seminary won some tickets to the performance of Handel’s Messiah at Bass Hall tonight and was not able to attend. We were the recipient of these tickets. The tickets were on Orchestra, Row D Seats 10 and 11. The lobby was beautifully decorated with a wonderful Christmas Market filled with all kinds of holiday treasures and ornaments. The audience was dressed in conservative black and holiday red. But the funniest thing was when the last chord had died away and the audience rose to their feet to show appreciation to all of the musicians, the applause lasted for a while and was followed by hooting and whooping that would have made any Aggie proud! And then the couple sitting in front of us elegantly dressed stood up put on their coats and light up Santa hats.…only in Texas.

The seats were amazing and the music was wonderful. The chorus, orchestra and soloists sang the entire Messiah. I have never sung the entire work before but I can tell you now it is two hours of glorious and very difficult singing and playing. I must admit I always get a bit misty eyed when the Hallelujah Chorus is being sung especially when the audience rises to their feet in reverence and honor of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This is an evening I will not soon forget.

Prayer: “Father, today I praise You that the substance of my faith is measurable in tangible ways. While I know that works will never save me, I thank You that my salvation will by necessity change the way I live. Help me, on this day, to demonstrate the reality of true repentance, both in my attitudes and actions. Protect me from bitterness over the consequences of my sins and give me the strength to honor You as a new creation in Christ. Thank you for giving me the grace that is always sufficient. In Jesus Name, Amen.”

Matthew 3: 8 “Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance.”

Tonight’s scripture verse is tough. In order to repent we must ask for forgiveness. In order to ask for forgiveness we must honestly admit to ourselves and God not only that we have sinned, but how we have sinned. I do not know of anyone who just waits to openly admit that they have sinned or who jumps with joy to say “I was wrong and I need to be forgiven and make life changes.” Do I admit when I have sinned, ask for forgiveness and try to make the needed changes? Yes. Do I like to admit it? No.

The Pharisees and Sadducees must have really hated John the Baptist when he preached. They knew they were living lives of hypocrisy and self-righteousness and John the Baptist’s words must have cut them to the quick. But John’s words of “repent” serve as a reminder to each of us that repentance is the act of making change in our lives both inside and out. We have to be willing to abandon sin and turn toward God. To repent means to turn around and change. When we are broken by sin we know we are not deserving of God’s grace and forgiveness. But when we repent and practice humility and have a strong desire to change from our selfishness to selflessness then we have reaped the fruits of repentance. We could do all kinds of “good deeds” or be involved in lots of church activities, but if we do not make the necessary changes in our thinking, then the fruits of our repentance will be rotten. Remember that God knows all about us - even those things we try to make secret. So here is tonight’s question…Is repentance something we do or is it a reflection of who we are?” I really hope it is it the latter.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: