Sunday, December 4, 2011

Happy Saturday!

Prayer: “Heavenly Father, I am so very grateful for Your love, salvation, and care for me. Without You, my life would be a disaster. With You, I am so very blessed and encouraged. Please help me this day to walk in step with Your Spirit’s leadership. As I do, help me to be sensitive to the needs of others whom I might encounter. Help me to be a blessing to others! In the strong and loving name of Jesus, Amen!”

1 John 3: 17 “But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?”

God’s Word contains the most practical and, at times, challenging words we will ever hear. As I read this passage I thought about how timely these words are in this season of the year. Most of us have enough. We have enough food, adequate transportation, clothes to wear that keep us warm and dry and a house that will do the same. So here is this question from God’s Word that challenges us to ignore those who have little or nothing.

God came down from the splendor of heaven to become poor and live among us so that through His earthly poverty we might become rich. The love of God was fully incarnated in Jesus and that love compelled Him to surrender all for the sake of others. If we are called to live godly lives and imitators of Christ, how can we help those who are in desperate need? There are so many opportunities to help others during this season of giving. We can put money in the red buckets, take food the local charities, pick a name from an angel tree or find out from a church or other group a way that we can help. We can also offer our gifts of presence to those who are lonely in hospitals or nursing homes. We can make phone calls and send Christmas cards to someone who might not receive a word of hope during this season of hope. Let each of us pray about a way we can help someone during Christmas.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and carry an umbrella. Count your blessings and be a blessing. Say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: