Sunday, December 4, 2011

Blessed Sunday to you all!

Baby it is cold and wet outside! Praise God for the rain because we are so in need of rain. But as Pastor Joel said this morning, “Please don’t send any ice!” I will echo this prayer!

My friends, Bruce and I have been given a wonderful gift. One of the young men in my OT and Education classes has given us tickets to Handel’s Messiah at Bass Hall tomorrow (Monday) evening. We are so excited. Each of us had previous commitments for tomorrow evening and got out of them in order to attend this Christmas classic. I promise to deliver a full report in the journal tomorrow evening.

Today, I heard two fine sermons on the text of the Messiah. This text comes out of the Book of Isaiah, Chapter 40. As a Christian I believe these verses point to Jesus as prophesied by Isaiah. I did a little research into these scriptures and learned that these words of “Comfort ye, My people” “speak tenderly, for her sins are pardoned because God has punished her twice over for her sins.” These words were written about the return of Israel to Jerusalem out of the Babylonian exile. These weary Hebrews were returning home. They had been through a lot and were just trying to get home. If you look at the terrain between Babylon and Jerusalem you will find it is rough. God promises that on their journey home the valleys would be raised, the mountains would be lowered and the rough places would be made even. The bottom line is that this nation was on a journey home.

Doc Adams (Casey’s oncologist) often said, “The destination was never in question, but sometimes the journey sucks.” The nation of Israel was being punished by God because they were disobedient. God, in His forgiveness, was leading them home and trying to make the journey as easy as possible. I think the key might have been that the journey would have been easier if they have stayed on the path God laid out for them.

So here are the questions of the evening…First, have we ever been on a journey where there were rough places, deep valleys or high mountains and felt ourselves exiled from God? Next, would the journey have been easier if we had just stayed on the path God laid out for us? Do we trust God to get us home? Did we try to take short cuts, or go around and turn around instead of continuing the journey as God intended? And last, did we make the journey longer than it had to be because we did not let God be God and lead us?

As we journey this Advent toward the birth of Jesus once again, how will we prepare for whatever journeys God has in store for us? As for me, I pray that I will be willing to follow His plan for the road ahead and that I will listen for God’s voice in my ear; my head and my heart walking in faith behind the God who sent me on the journey.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, a warm coat and carry an umbrella. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: