Friday, March 29, 2013


Blessed Good Friday to you all.

After a magnificent Good Friday service at Advent Lutheran Church where the choir performed a stunning rendition of the Son of God Mass by James Whitbourne, communion was shared and the cross of God’s forgiveness, perfect love and undeserved grace was reverenced, I came home and read a Facebook Post by one of the most amazing Lutheran pastors who is also a wonderful friend. Her name is Pastor Deb McCann.  These are her thoughts following a really difficult week on why we call this day Good Friday.

·         Pastor Deb McCann:  its been a tough Holy Week. My brother in Houston is off the critical list and in a rehab facility, possibly for months. One of my son's best friends' father attempted suicide a couple nights ago after being out of work and deeply depressed, a day after this friend began a new job. My best friend's mother died this morning, he's an only child with no family near. One young friend is recovering from brain surgery for a cancerous tumor, another young friend found out a month ago her baby just a few months old has cystic fibrosis. Another friend is exhibiting signs of mental illness and is deeply in denial. One of my sons lost his job this week. All of THIS is why we call today GOOD Friday. Because the God of all creation dared to love so deeply that this God became one of us ... in the very mortal, painful, vulnerable flesh that we humans all share. This is the only kind of God I can trust, one who understands what it is like to be me from the inside out - not in a divine, spiritual & intellectual knowing, but from the gut, viscerally, hands on. Only a God who can cry out "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" only such a God is one I can give my life to.

Take joy in the journey my friends remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude for God who loves us so much that He became one of us to experience all that we experience; the good and the difficult. Remember why you love God so much and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: