Thursday, March 28, 2013


Happy Wednesday! 

Today I did what will be my final advising for classes at Brite. I spoke with my adviser telling him to make sure that every t has been crossed and each i has been dotted. As I watched him fill out the remainder of my advising sheet began in the Fall of 2007 I noticed that when he finished all of the spaces were filled up. If all of the classes will make then I will be set to graduate in December.  I am so very excited and, as my daughter would say… just mildly terrified.

Prayer:  Holy One, we make one more step towards the cross with you. Even though you told Your disciples You were leaving three times before, they did not quite understand. The good news is that because You are God on foot and through the Resurrection and the power of the Holy Spirit You will never leave us or forsake us.  Even when we have lost one so close to us or a job we really loved, we become ill, or whatever loss we have experienced You are never out of our reach because You are God of promise and hope.  For that we give thanks. We love You Lord.  Amen.

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD you God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Deuteronomy 31: 6

On Saturday Travis and Sarah were honored with a wedding shower. At the end of the shower we decided to take pictures with family. As we lined up and grouped for the pictures I was reminded that these pictures used to hold a lot more people. Several members of our family have passed on leaving we who remain.  And I must admit it made me sad in the midst of this most joyous occasion. I missed the mother who raised me and the son I raised. I missed the uncles who always kept us laughing and the Mamo who beamed with pride and whose heart would almost burst with the love she had for all of us. And then tonight I remembered that life goes on. That day I was witness to the beginning of a new generation of family. These two honorees are grounded in faith, love and a powerful sense of family. They will be the ones to continue the family traditions and lead us into new traditions.

It is possible to rejoice and to be sorrowful. The Holy Spirit empowered Paul to be joyful in the midst of hardships and adversity. God can do the same for us if we just look and listen for God’s leading and voice. We must be willing to let go of what makes us sad. I don’t think that means we are to forget, but we are to surrender our ownership of what is causing us sadness and grief so we can see the blessing. The way we do this is to focus our attention fully on God trusting that God will never leave us or let us go.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope never disappoints. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

kimmy said...

Oh Gaylene I have a friend from Karios on caring bridge her name is Carla nix, her husband is Steve. Bruce may know them, she is getting surgery done for lung cancer. I miss you my friend. I pray all is well with your wonderful, beautiful family. Love, kimmie