Friday, March 29, 2013


Blessed Holy Thursday. 

Today I sat glued to my chair behind my desk as my son packed his kennel, dog, toothbrush and some other things and began the transition to his new home that he and Sarah will share.  I could not help but think about the day a few years ago when Casey moved out. I sat glued on the couch as he packed his things to move into his apartment with a friend. Things seem to change so quickly.  This morning Travis lived here and tonight he is in his new home. I gave him the speech I gave Casey and Geni: remember who you are, remember Whose you are, (I did not say don’t date skanky women) , always wear clean underwear and your key still fits the door.  And with a hug at the door I let him go. And new normal begins again.

Prayer: Holy One, tonight we remembered you with bread, wine and the washing of feet. You gave the disciples one last lesson. You modeled servanthood in the washing of the disciples’ feet so that they would understand their mission in the world. Help us to be models of Your forgiving grace when we meet others in need of fellowship, acceptance, forgiveness and hope. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.”
Psalm 62: 5-6

For years as I would say my prayers each night I would give thanks for the man who slept beside me and the safety and presence of the three children down the hall. Tonight, I will still give thanks for Bruce and the kids, but they no longer live down the hall. This is sort of a tough night for me. I am not sure how I will sleep without a child in the house. It seems sort of quiet right now.  The anticipation of knowing one of them will be in soon is not there tonight and that is a feeling I have not had for what seems a very long time. Forgive me friends, but tonight I am a little sad, very proud, but a little sad.

I spent most of the day at Travis and Sarah’s home waiting for their furniture to be delivered, their washer and dryer to be delivered and the Directv  to be installed. Bruce joined us and we shared a meal together. Travis looked around and said, “this is grown up stuff isn’t it Mom?”  The next time I see Travis (tomorrow) he will still be Travis, but there will be a change. He will have a new air of independence, maturity and the knowledge that he is ready to learn how to make his way in this world with Sarah.

I can only imagine Jesus as He tried to say good-bye to His disciples. These were His closest friends. He knew what the next few days held for Him and how they would react. But He talked with them, shared a meal, had conversation and then He gave them the speech. “For I gave you an example that you also should so as I did to you.” (John 13: 15) Jesus told them I have taught you all I can and now it is time for you to make your way into the world as my disciples and showing others love, forgiveness and hope.  He let them go with the hope that they would remember who they were, whose they were and tell the story of Jesus to all they would meet.

Take joy in the journey remember that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a grateful heart and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: