Monday, March 25, 2013


Happy Monday and blessed Holy Week to you all! 

I am in need of some prayer. I am reading a book for one of my classes that seems to promote the idea that Christianity needs to be reconstructed leaving Christ crucified out of the center of the faith. It is written by an author who does not believe that Christ had to die for the atonement of our sins. Every red flag in my soul goes to full attention as this is not what I believe. It is particularly difficult to read this type of reading during Holy Week when each day brings us closer to the cross. I have to do a brief writing about this text and I am struggling.  Please say a prayer for me that I can be faithful to my beliefs and the gospel while working on this assignment. Thank you.

Prayer:  Holy One, in Jesus’ name I enter Holy Week through Your Holy Word.  Even though there are those who do not believe in atonement theology and salvation through the sacrifice on the cross, I believe. I ask You, Lord, to help me read and make a faithful response that honors You and the sacrifice You made for the forgiveness of sins and life everlasting. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

“Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Psalm 46: 10

“Take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.”

Ephesians 6: 16

As I began this reading yesterday I knew right away I was going to have difficulty. I even lost some sleep over this. There are a couple of reasons why. First, I have never questioned atonement.  It is deeply embedded in my faith that Jesus chose the cross to atone for my sins and forever stands between God and me pleading my case before the mercy seat at the feet of God.  
Second, if Jesus did not choose the cross as the final atonement for my sins then I have to ask, “Why bother with this Christian life?” When Jesus breathed His last on the cross with the words “It is finished.” He was not just announcing His death. He was staking the claim that no other sacrifice need be made because this was the final sacrifice for sin and forgiveness for all eternity. To my way of thinking if this single act does not occur then we are still living in Old Testament times.

What I have to remember is that this reading is not within my control. I must remember that God is sovereign over my life and I must ask for guidance and understanding through these readings. God also calls me to task in this area to state my case for Christ crucified in response to this author in scripture-based writing that upholds my faith beliefs.  Again, I ask for prayer that I will be able to write such a text.

Sometimes the evil one assaults us in all kinds of ways and all kinds of places. When these times come let us rest in the truth of who we really are; Children of God and brothers and sisters to Christ; children in whom God delights.

Take joy in the journey of faith remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a grateful heart (and for me tonight), get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: