Saturday, February 9, 2013


Happy Saturday!

Bruce, Geni and I picked up a Bountiful Basket order early this morning. Great offerings this time of apples, oranges, pears and bananas—cauliflower, cabbage, a humongous sweet potato, picture perfect red bell peppers, onions, garlic, snack tomatoes and an Italian basket with an herb bundle or rosemary and basil, garlic, a beautiful egg plant and two bags of killer granola. A great way to begin the day! (yes, there was coffee!)

I came to find out that Curves closes at 11: 30 on Saturday so I did not get to workout today. I have spent the day writing. I am down to one paper and one outline for a class discussion and I will have completed my work before time. Keep praying! If I can finish as I hope to I may have time to prepare a sermon for next Sunday on the wedding at Cana. We will see.

Prayer: Lord, when I surrender to you my stresses and worrisome loads then I seem to find clearer ways of thinking and am able to work with peaceful nudging to not only complete the assignments, but remind the reader in my writing that You are the guiding hand in all that I do. Thank You for this space surrounded by Your loving creation in family both two and four legged. They are a constant reminder that I am surrounded by your sweetness, warmth and love.  It is to You I give all glory, thanks and praise. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

“The LORD your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
Zephaniah 3: 17

This semester nearly all of my readings have to do with violence, terrorism and injustice. This is really hard reading. It is hard because I am not very political and the class discussions and writings are on these subjects. One of the things that I am learning through all of this is that the Great Commandment is not being followed very well these days. 

“Love the Lord your God with all you heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself.” This passage has several layers. First we are to Love God with all we have. God, our Creator, sends Jesus to be our Redeemer and the image of God here on earth. This verse calls us to love those who are difficult to love. These are the folks with whom we do not agree, who make us uncomfortable to be around and who we deem unlovely. One of the reasons that violence happens for religious reasons is that the one(s) who commit the act(s) of violence fail to see glimpses of God in those with whom they do not agree. They find those people difficult to love, or don’t even consider loving them. Those who proclaim to carry the love of Christ in their hearts yet commit acts of violence and injustice do not allow those folks to see God in us.

          We may not carry out acts of violence or terrorism, but there are those we do not treat as a part of God’s good creation for one reason or another. Do we ignore, gossip, cut off in traffic, hold grudges or make someone feel as if they are not worthy of the love of God that is supposed to come through us? These are dangerous attitudes for us to have.

The world is full of dangers. So when thoughts of unkindness come to us and we encounter someone we would rather not or think disparaging thoughts about someone we love (or should love) let us hold tightly to God’s ever present and open hand. It is through God’s Spirit and the Word that He will talk us through these difficult times. Let us pour out our hearts to God and ask Him to help us change our attitudes. We must stay in contact and conversation with God and hold fast to Him because God is our life.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart of thanks and gratitude and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: