Monday, November 5, 2012


Blessed Sunday and All Saint’s Day to you all!

          All Saint’s Day causes us each to remember those who have gone before us and have made a response to the call of Jesus on their lives.  These are the folks who have had a profound effect on our lives because of their faithful response to Jesus by showing compassion, kindness, forgiveness and love. 

          For this family we carried a candle forward in worship today in remembrance of Genita Helvey, my beloved Mom; Uncles Gene, Rodney, and Johnny; Aunt Lendola Helvey and beloved friends Duane and Bobbie Gohlke.  We miss their presence in our lives and have assurance that one day we will join them never to be parted again.

Prayer alert:  Please pray for Sharon James and her family.  Sharon entered hospice care on Friday.  Her family has been called together to say their good-byes.  She was the nurse at Burton Hill when I was teaching there.

And…say a special prayer for my precious hubby. He has been under the house for about 8 hours today repairing leaks on 80 year old plumbing.  He finally crawled out from under the house around 10: 30 tonight. There are still a few leaks so we are turning on the water for showers, flushes and filling water pitchers.  Prayers would be so appreciated.

Prayer:  “Good morning, Lord. I rise today with gratitude that You have loved me, chosen me, and saved me. When I think that the God of the universe knows my name and calls me His own, I am overwhelmed. As I talk to others, do my work, and go about the business of life, cause me to be mindful of the fact.  May that realization guide my thoughts, my words, and my actions. May today be a day of uncommon devotion to You. Amen.”

“Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.”
Philippians 1: 6

Our salvation process is summed up in this passage of scripture.  God begins the work of salvation in each of us through the word of “justification.”  Justification means the forgiveness of sins and new life placing us in right standing with God.

Justification and forgiveness is the beginning and God continues this salvific work through sanctification. Sanctification is the process of making us holy.  God is committed to this work even when we are not ready and resist His efforts.  God is so committed to our sanctification that through discipline will perfect the problems that we encounter for our betterment and divine glory.

God completes the work of salvation in us through eternal life in heaven.  

Scripture uses the word “glorification” which refers to the time when we are all taken to heaven. No more dying, or crying or pain.  No more sin and its effects. We will only experience joy - unspeakable joy - in the presence of Jesus forever giving thanks for what God has done through Jesus.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: