Thursday, October 18, 2012


Happy Wednesday! 

Prayer:  “Lord, I thank You today that there is nothing I must do to earn Your favor. I am accepted in the beloved because of Jesus and His finished work on the Cross. Thank You for the freedom that is found in knowing Jesus. What a wonderful truth that nothing can separate me from the love of God that is found in Christ Jesus. I love You, o God, and am grateful to be a part of Your family. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

“I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go into the house of the LORD.”
Psalm 122:1

“God don’t care which church you go to just as long as you go.” Dolly Parton to Darryl Hannah in Steel Magnolias.

Darryl Hannah’s character is completely flustered that she might “miss church.”  She thinks that God will be disappointed in her if she does not go to church.  Here is a newsflash…We do not have to go to church.  We get to go to church. God is not interested in anything I would do to gain His favor. God is far more interested in my position in Christ.  My position in Christ is being covered and immersed in His unconditional love. Worshiping with others who believe is not a ritual I must perform, but a privilege I am allowed to choose to enjoy. 

This freedom to choose is the freedom we have in Christ.  There is no freedom in always trying to measure up on my own for I could never measure up to be worthy of the sacrifice made for me.  However there is truth in that I belong and part of God’s family.  In worship I am allowed to love and worship God in richer and deeper ways and in fellowship with others. In the fellowship I experience with others in conversation, singing, prayer, Eucharist, reading and listening to God’s Word, God reveals Himself to me in ways I could not experience alone.

So friends…we do not have to go to church, but we get to go to church. 


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

No comments: