Monday, October 15, 2012

Blessed Sunday to you all. 


Last evening Geni and I attended the wedding of one of Casey’s closest friends.  The groom created a space in the groom’s party that would have been filled by Casey.  Upon our arrival at the reception at the bridal party table there was an empty chair and Casey’s picture was at the place at the table.  It was the most precious way for him to be remembered.  I made it through the wedding and reception until the groom and his mom had their special dance.  I lost it at that point.  Today our family gathered at our house for food, football, fellowship and remembrance.  Casey passed away four years ago today.

Prayer:  “Lord, I bow before You today, not only as the sovereign Creator of heaven and earth but also as the One who rescued my soul from darkness.  Thank You for so great a salvation. I am humbled by Your mercy and grace and the thought that You might use me today in Your kingdom’s work. In the name of our savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.”

“But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you’; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.’”
1 Corinthians 12: 20-21

In my pastoral care class this semester one of the members made this statement, “Once you have seen one Disciples Church, you have seen one Disciples church.”  I thought that was pretty funny.  But then a few weeks later I attended the Regional Conference of the Christian Church Disciples of Christ. The title of the conference was One Church in Many Places.  It was held as a teleconference with its central hub at Brite Divinity School.  I attended the conference at Northwest Christian Church.  As the conference progressed with singing, scripture, preaching and communion I began to see the image of the church as a body. 

A body is not an organization, but a living organism.  Each church represented in this body is important and the church cannot stand with the authority of God’s Word and the ministries it enacts without each member of the body being represented.  Each church facility may act independently of each other, but all congregations together make up the body, the living organism, the incarnated body of Christ.  If we lose a church we are weakened.  If we gain a church or a church experiences growth we gain in strength.  This living organism we call the church is connected not just as a body, but in function as well.  If we are to serve God we must recognize our dependence on God and accept and nurture our interdependence upon one another.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Pray for others and count your blessings. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.
      
Prayers please:  This has been a tough year on our family and I am having trouble focusing.  I ask you to pray for me as I continue to work through this semester.  Thanks and peace, gc      

No comments: