Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blessed Sunday!

It is my hope that you were able to attend a worship service today and be a part of the memorial services held to honor the 9/11 fallen and to pray for their families as they live on without their loved ones. I watched a bit of the memorial on television this morning. I was very moved by the reading of the psalm by our president “God is our refuge and our strength; our very present help in times of trouble. “ My heart was touched as the readers named those of the fallen. As they ended their recitations they each spoke the name of their family member who lost their life whether they were killed in the destruction or was one was lost as a public servant there to save lives.

I am learning in my Old Testament class that even when things do not go according to the plan God has set forth, He takes the circumstances and still works them to His divine purpose. Evil may go down hard and with a strong fight, but it does go down and when the dust settles and all is cleared away God’s divine purpose is ready to form in His people.

John 10:10 “I am come that they might have life, and have it more abundantly.”

God is our Master and the giver of abundant life. We do not earn abundant life we are given abundant life. Abundant life means that we are given the attributes of God that include forgiveness, love , joy, peace, strength, power, healing, humility and patience. Everything we see in God as Lord of our lives He has given to us through the life, death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ. We have all these qualities flowing through us because God’s life flows through us. We do not make ourselves loving, strong, patient and humble because His Life accomplishes all of these things in us.

We can have courage in the darkest of times and the most difficult of situations because God works all things according to His divine purpose. God never promised us a perfect life free from hard times and tough roads or the pain and grief of loss. What he did promise is that He would remain with us in abundant living out of His love for us and His life force placed in each of us according to His will.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and hug your babies! Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

I ask special prayers for the family of Grammy Faye, the elderly mother of Sherry Haun and mother-in-law to Rev. CD Haun of the Palmer Christian Church, where I preach sometimes. Grammy Faye passed away on Friday.

I also ask for very special prayers for little Tatum Kate Flaming, 5 year old daughter of Mike and Mandy Flaming (cousins of mine). She has a very aggressive form of leukemia and is receiving treatment at Cooks Children’s Hospital. The treatment plan is 2.5 years. They are currently living at the Ronald McDonald House in Fort Worth and are considering relocating to Fort Worth due to the length of her treatment program. The disease was first diagnosed when Tatum was 3. She received treatment and went into remission. When the disease returned within the last month it came back very aggressively.

No comments: