Saturday, April 30, 2011

Happy Saturday!

I spent part of the day purchasing gift cards and greeting cards for various occasions; our niece’s graduation, a baby shower and a baptism. Bruce and I are honored that we have been asked to be the godparents to Asia May Brewer. She is the daughter of Jeremy and Addie Brewer, our music directors for the 11:00 service. She is a beautiful baby with such wonderful parents who love her so very much. Her daddy is studying to be a doctor and her mother is a musical genius who plays, sings and has strong media skills. They are very strong in their faith and will raise this precious child to have a love for God, music and beauty in all she sees. And we will get to baby sit!

I think God must love color. There are so many references to color throughout the Word and comparisons to things that are a part of our lives. One of my favorite experiences with color happened a little over 30 years ago in Estes Park, Colorado. I was attending a week long youth ministers conference. We stayed in cabins in the middle of the mountains. The first day we were there the mountains were amazing and a beautiful, lush green color. But the next morning when we awoke and looked out the window there was a brushstroke across the mountains. It was as if in the night God had taken His artist brush and placed a splash of brilliant color across the mountain. In just a matter of hours while we slept those quaking aspens were transformed from green to a beautiful yellow and the stark contrast to the surrounding area was breathtaking.

I hope when God looks down on His creation and sees our backyard that he sees the different color flowers we have placed in various spots. When I select flowers I try to select vibrant colors that cause eyes to travel to the color and not to the remainder of the yard. For you see, our backyard has a very large shade tree and other trees that prohibit the grass from receiving full sun. So basically we have ground color and dirt in our backyard. But after a couple of years of work we are making the yard into a place to spend time and enjoy quietness or laughter or comfortable conversation.

Isaiah 1: 18 “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.”

When I read this verse I was reminded of how quickly God changes us from the ordinary to the extraordinary with just two words, “I forgive.” When we enter into a relationship with Christ we become transformed by His love, grace and forgiveness instantly. We may not feel changed, but we must rest assured that the blood that was shed for us those 2000 years ago is still as strong, red and pure today and has covered every sin we have ever committed and ever will commit for the remainder of our lives here on this earth. We will be in a constant state of transformation through the asking and accepting of God’s forgiveness and then allowing Him to fill up those spaces with His precious Holy Spirit. So my friends…let us open our eyes to the awesome wonders of the colors of God.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. As you pray and lift each other up remember that God through the power of the Holy Spirit helps us in all we do and are going through. Love you all so very much. See you in worship. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS I Spoke to Carme today and she said the Susan B. Komen walk was amazing and has asked that we all go down and walk with her next year. She also says thank you for all of your prayers and support of this most important cause.

No comments: