Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blessed Easter Saturday!

As I think back on an Easter Saturday about 16 years ago, we were attending St. John Lutheran Church in Grand Prairie, Texas. In Lutheran tradition Easter Saturday conducts a worship service with its primary purpose for baptisms. All three of our children were baptized at Easter Vigil 16 years ago. I remember the pastor pouring the water and Travis dashing from the altar because he had to go to the bathroom. Pastor Thomas, not one to get rattled very easily, simply shook his head and said, “It’s the water. It’ll get to them every time.” We all laughed and upon Travis’ return we continued with the service.

That service also held another memorable moment. Our niece, age 7 or 8, was holding a candle during the service and accidentally let it get away from her and burned a hole in the cushion of the pew.

The funny memory this year began today as Geni received an Edible Arrangement fruit bouquet from Carme and Dave. She went to get her camera to take a picture and send it to them. When she got back, Jackson (one of our basset hounds) had already sampled the beautiful, delicious arrangement. Geni was not happy!

I tell you these things because memories are what make past events so special. Those same children, quite grown up now, will gather at our home tomorrow to celebrate Easter and to honor Geni as she prepares to graduate college in three weeks. We are so proud of her and all of her accomplishments. But the celebration is quite special in that Jerry and Nita Helvey have 5 granddaughters. Upon Geni’s graduation in May all five girls will be college graduates. That is quite a legacy. We have much to be thankful for and much for which to be proud.

We spent part of our day in rehearsal for worship tomorrow. The music is positively majestic. We will be singing with a brass ensemble, tympani and praise team musicians. As we practiced one of my favorites, “Jesus Messiah.” The words speak such amazing truth. “Jesus Messiah, name above all names. Blessed Redeemer, Emanuel. A rescue for sinners, a ransom for heaven, Jesus Messiah, Lord of all!” My heart filled with such a spirit of praise and worship. I imagined Casey, standing before the Father who was seated upon the throne of grace, with his hands raised in worship toward the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and in continuous worship of our Lord of all. I envision Casey like this often and it makes my heart glad knowing how happy he is and the joy he is experiencing in full and continuous communion with the Father.

Tomorrow I pray you take the opportunity to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I pray you experience the presence of the risen Savior in the word spoken and sung and in the eyes and hearts of those you love. At Advent Lutheran, during the 11:00 worship hour, God will be in the house and the house is going to rock!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. As you lift each other up in prayer remember that each of us is fighting some type of battle. Love you all and Happy Easter, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: