Friday, April 22, 2011

Blessed Good Friday to you all!

Prayer: “Dear Heavenly Father, as I begin this day I turn to You because You alone are the Lord of my life. I worship You and exalt Your name above all. Thank You for saving me from my sin and writing my name in the Lamb’s Book of Life. In Jesus’ name I humbly pray, Amen”

1 Corinthians 2:9-10 “As it is written, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.”

I listen to sermons. In fact during worship I usually have my Bible, spiral journal, my favorite pen and a cup of coffee (really!) and while the pastor is delivering the message I am taking notes. I have always learned a lot from pastors on Sunday morning. I have always admired how they have such a command of the understanding of the scriptures and are able to make the connections that I as a lay person would never think of on my own. I now understand that those who preach have done a lot of study of the scriptures. They not only read the scripture as printed in the Bible, but also know the history and context surrounding the passage.

I especially get excited when the pastors make connections between Old and New Testaments and then somehow make these connections apply to my life. The wisdom of these men and women does not only come from just study, but from the power of the Holy Spirit revealing to them the underlying messages from the very breath of God.

God reveals to us His will for our lives through our prayers, study, worship and listening because the Holy Spirit opens the minds and hearts of those who believe in His name. My dear friends, that is us! God has appointed His Holy Spirit to reveal the things of His nature to us because of His love for us. God’s wisdom is not of this world. But because He loves us so much and desires the best relationship with us possible He sent His Holy Spirit through Jesus so that we might begin to understand the character and love of God for us.

Tonight, in the scriptures, Jesus declared, “It is finished!” For Jesus, His ministry on this earth was finished, but the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives had begun. Open your hearts and minds and allow the Holy Spirit to reveal God’s perfect wisdom, love and grace to you. Sounds like a life time of learning to me.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Tonight when you lift each other up in prayer remember that everyone if fighting some sort of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: