Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Thursday!

Today is Maundy Thursday. For those of you who are not liturgical worshipers, Maundy Thursday (or Holy Thursday) is the remembrance of the Last Supper (or Eucharist) shared by Jesus and His disciples. In the Lutheran Church we gather for worship and scriptures are read from the Gospel of Luke which tell the story of Jesus and His Disciples and the meal in the Upper Room. Also read is the passage in 1 Corinthians which offers the Words of Institution, or “In the night in which he was betrayed…”

Also in Lutheran tradition, at the end of the worship, the altar is stripped. All of the banners, seasonal coverings, candles and any other worship aids are removed. The worshipers exit the darkened sanctuary in silence remembering the time of prayer spent in the garden in preparation for Good Friday and the crucifixion.

Prayer: “Dear heavenly Father, Thank You for allowing me to wake up today. I never want to take my life for granted, and I want every minute to count for You. I confess all my sins to You. Help me to remember today that You are with me every step I take. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

Romans 14: 17-18 “The kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.”

God presents Himself to us in very physical and tangible ways. He sent us Jesus so that we could know Him. God commanded Jesus to be baptized. And just a few hours before His death Jesus ate a meal with His closest friends and followers. Jesus enacted them at the Father’s command as a model of a godly and obedient life. These are all things that are present in our own lives.

We can do all of those things that Jesus did, but the other things mentioned in the passage of scripture we cannot do without a relationship with Jesus. These things are in fact impossible to attain alone. But because when we enter into a relationship with God through Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit is within us and can make each one of the attributes that root in our hearts become the hallmarks by which we live.

“Righteousness is simply living a godly life in a holy and obedient way. Peace is having a tranquil attitude toward others. Joy is having spiritual contentment regardless of circumstances.” (from Devotional Prayer Book) But ourselves we cannot even begin to live in this way, but Christ, who lives in us can cause us to live and act these attributes. When we live lives of righteousness, peace and joy then we take on more of the character and heart of Christ and God is pleased with us.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. When you pray lifting each other up in Jesus’ name, remember that we are all fighting some type of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer update: My Aunt Linda is doing well. She is very sore and her hand is sort of banged up from the deployment of the air bag, but she seems to be on the mend. Please continue to pray for her healing. Thank you, friends and mighty prayer warriors. Peace, gc

No comments: