Friday, April 1, 2011

Greetings from Austin St. via Wichita Falls

Happy Friday! This writing along with the two previous entries leaves my hands and travels into the hands of my editor and beloved husband, Bruce. Today I checked off one more item on the list of pre-retirement activities. Five years ago while teaching at Burton Hill, I came up with an activity to end the teaching unit on Texas. So, for the last 5 years we have held a school-wide chili cook-off. We joined the cook-off with a competition between our first grade students and their parents called, “Are you Smarter than a first Grader…Texas edition.” We (the first graders) went into the competition today undefeated and we left today’s competition still holding our undefeated standing. The chili cook-off was really great. We have really wonderful teachers in our building and one of them put their chili in a bio-hazard container displayed with a slightly melted plastic spoon. It was too funny!

Prayer: “Lord, today I trust You to be my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my strength, my shield, my salvation, and my stronghold. You are worthy to be praised. In Jesus’ name, Amen”

Psalm 18: 2,3 “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.”

Tonight’s passage of scripture tells us about the attributes of God as David saw God. David chose these powerful words to praise God and to declare Him worthy to be praised. David was on the run from Saul for about 10 years. In that time I am sure David sometimes did not know where he was going to sleep and he must have felt alone and scared. David at times did not know whether he would live another day. David trusted God to lead him and God delivered David from his enemies and made him king of Israel. In that ten year time while David was on the run and hiding I think God was preparing David to be the leader He wanted him to be.

The safest place we can ever be is in God’s will. So in all of our circumstances, issues, situations, roads and journeys we do not always know where we are headed, but God knows and we must place our trust in Him.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers remembering that we are all fighting some sort of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: