Sunday, December 6, 2009

Blessed Sunday to you all!

I went to the 8:30 worship service this morning for just a few minutes to hear the bell choir in which Bruce plays. Their playing and music were so lovely. As I watched the bell players I remembered how much Casey loved playing bells with Bruce. I was once again reminded how much Casey loved family, church and music. I began to cry and Bruce and I just held each other in the Gathering Room remembering how much Casey was looking forward to Christmas at home. In truth He did have Christmas at home, his heavenly home.

When we go to the 11:00 contemporary service we discovered we were singing some traditional Christmas carols. I then told Bruce that even when we sing traditional music, it does not sound like traditional music with the addition of the band instruments, electric piano and the wonderful rhythms Addie and Jeremy add to our music.

I was lector today. I really love reading scripture. This morning I read from Isaiah 9. This passage is the one we can all do from memory beginning with “For unto us a child is born…Wonderful Counselor.” I always sing The Messiah to myself when I come across this passage.

Proverbs 14:21 “He that has mercy on the poor, happy is he.”

Every year around this time there are many pleas to help those who are in need of items for Christmas. At church today, I dropped off our donation of children’s’ socks and underwear into the box at church for distribution at Christmas. At school, my class traditionally collects hats, gloves and mittens during the season and I take them to Mission Arlington. There are bell ringers outside the door at Wal-Mart braving the cold and collecting monetary donations for those in need. We rarely pass without dropping a dollar in the pot. I am sure all of us do something like this during this time of year.

I was reading a story about a family which had decided to adopt a family for Christmas. The adopted family had a father in prison, mother working three jobs and small children. The mother of the first family was trying to explain to her son what they were doing to try and help this family in need. So they go to the store and the little boy’s eyes lit up and every commercial he had ever seen for every toy suddenly came to life and the mother was really wondering what she was going to do. It was then the little boy said, “That boy would love this game. The sister will really love this doll and they both need some clothes.” There was pride in the eyes of the parents at the selflessness of their son when the little boy said, “Jesus was right, Daddy, it is better to give than to receive.” As this family paid for the items to be given to someone else they were given a glimpse of heaven as their child chose others over himself.

There are lots of people out of work. In one of her movies, Dolly Parton sings about the hard candy Christmas. I know there will be lots of them this year. A child born in a stable began the spirit of giving and gave us a glimpse into heaven within the lowliness of a stable. May the babe of Bethlehem be born once again in our hearts and may the joy of giving be ever in our thoughts.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and a warm jacket. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: