Sunday, August 17, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Blessed Sunday to you all!  All is well here at 811. Blessed is just how I feel tonight.  I was witness to a reawakening of the Church this afternoon.  Four amazing young men attended a Via deCristo weekend. These are four young men I have watched grow from teenagers of faith to men of faith ready to take their place as spiritual leaders in the Church of Jesus Christ.  Through wonderful worship and sincere testimonies of the love and grace of God in their lives I think the church is in good hands. 

The candle is lit…

Dear God, in your love my arms are open wide to other people. In you, we have much in common. I know you won’t ever let me down. Today you have led me to the answers to a persistent prayer. I know you are faithful. I think you were just waiting for me to get out of the way and open my heart to listen. I am at peace with the decisions I have made today. Thank you. Lord, help me to keep my spirit open to your strong voice and faithful leading. I love you Lord, In Jesus’ name, amen.

I attended a Via deCristo closing service this afternoon.  I participated in worship on the music team. I reconnected with friends both laity and clergy.  Some of these friends are without ministry positions or their ministries are about to come to a close. I wonder if they thought where is God in all of this closure and where do they go from here.  I have experienced those thoughts and frankly I have wondered why those ministry doors are not opening up.  I have received a lot of “The position has been filled.” 

Well, I believe that God is still in the same place He has always been.  And perhaps the enormity of this year and the trials we have suffered and are winning victory over, are the place new beginnings are to start. God has not failed any of us, nor has He been absent. We just have not seen the wide screen and the plans have not yet been fully revealed.  I believe with assurance that God makes all of our circumstances work together for our good—even waiting.  After today I know  there are  ministry opportunities waiting out there for me.  Ministry is furthering the cause of Christ.  It is carrying the gospel to people at the point of their deepest need.  It is to share the love of Christ to those who are easy to love and those who are not easy to love. Perhaps this is the bigger picture I have been missing.  God thinks big and I have been thinking very narrowly. So my friends, I intend to hang on God and trust that God is working all of these things out.   God is good and love wins.

“To you, a thousand years is like the passing of a day, or like a few hours in the night.”
Psalm 90: 4
“Give us gladness in proportion to our former misery! Replace the evil years with good. Let us, your servants, see you work again; let our children see your glory.”
Psalm 90: 15-16
Take joy in the journey praying as you go listening for God’s voice. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Love you lots, Bruce and Gaylene 

No comments: