Tuesday, June 24, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Tuesday!  All is well here at 811. 27 treatments down. 8 treatments to go. The boost treatment is really easy and really quick and not uncomfortable at all. Due to an unfortunate water mishap I had to purchase a new phone today. Good news was that my contact list stayed intact!  And we bought a nice camera to take on the cruise. Speaking of cruises…19 days until we sail!!!

Dear God, I wait for you. O God in the quiet depths of my open and expectant heart. When I do not hear your voice, help me to rest in your constant love and I wait for your answer to my prayer.  Lord you are so faithful to remain with me even when you are quiet.  The best part of being in your presence is knowing that as good friends we do not have to talk to have an intimate relationship.  Even in the silence I place my hope in you. I love you Lord. In Jesus’ name, amen.

The night that Casey received his first chemotherapy treatment the room was silent. The nurses connected all of the bags of medication, opened up all of the lines and left the room. It was just Casey and me and Casey slept peacefully. There was only the glow of a single light in the room that bathed Casey’s face in soft light. I stood at his bedside praying in silence begging for the life of my child and that the cancer killing drugs that were flowing through him hoping that somehow they would destroy the disease.  And the room was silent. But there was a Presence in the room that could only be identified as the Holy Spirit. The room was filled with peace that passed any understanding I had ever known.

The old song says,” silence is golden.”  When we desire the presence of God silence is golden. That night in the silence I received God’s blessing; the Holy Presence of God.  In the Christmas song, “O Little town of Bethlehem,”  we find a phrase in the third verse, “How silently, how silently, the wondrous gift is given.”  I can think of no greater gift than the gift of the presence of God. It is in the silences, those quiet times we spend with God we are called to intimacy with God. For God’s best gift, the gift of himself is often given in the silences.

“For God alone my soul waits in silence, from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken.”
Psalm 62: 1-2
“When the Lamb broke open the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. Then I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and they were given seven trumpets.”
Revelation 8: 1-2
Take joy in the journey and in the quiet listen for the presence of God. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and think pink. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: