Saturday, August 10, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Saturday!  The ceiling is up and mudded. The old carpet has been pulled. There are ten boxes of flooring in my living room floor. Progress and extraordinary gratitude for all of the help we have received in preparing the house for Bruce’s homecoming. Tonight we were given the word, “It is in the works.” He went to the grocery store today and showed me all of his purchases. He is ready to come home. I will go and pick him up tomorrow morning for church and lunch at home.  It is not quite like a regular Sunday, but it is close and for now I will take it! Team Chrystie for the win! God is so good and love wins!

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”

Psalm 119: 105

I love scripture. I tell my peers at Brite that I am a scripture girl. I do not have it committed to memory as to chapter and verse, but I remember the words to the verses that are important to me. The Holy Scriptures have changed my life through the biblical truths, words of assurance, teaching, study and comfort they offer.  I love that God’s Holy Word is a living document.  Because scripture is a living document it is continuously at work in us transforming us to the very depths of our souls.  In this journey of healing and recovery Bruce and I are walking we are each being transformed a little at a time. It is not a fast process, but a slow pace with small changes each day.  We take one day and one step at a time. This verse reminds me of what it is like to walk with a lamp. When we walk with a lamp we can only see a few feet beyond our own. Further ahead is not as important as making forward progress.

Progress involves change. Change nearly always involves loss and can cause bouts of tension, uncertainty and even doubt. So here is the good news. God, according to Hebrews 13: 8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”  Paraphrased that means that God does not change. God remains with us, holding us close, walking with us in whatever journey we are traveling. If we walk with God in trusting dependence all we need is a lamplights glow to walk the path prepared for us.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks with a grateful heart, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: