Friday, August 9, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Friday!  Tonight Bruce and I had a dinner date. He gets $30.00 per week for fun money.  We purchased an Olive Garden meal. I picked it up and took it to his apartment. It was so nice. We were also treated to a visit from a friend from Advent who brought Raisinetts and a lovely table plaque with encouraging words of faith and trust. Then Bruce and I were treated to 30 minutes all by ourselves. It was so nice to have a snuggle conversation on the couch just us. I realize by the calendar we have only been on this journey for a little over three weeks, but sometimes it seems like a year.  I have an empty bedroom with no ceiling. But tomorrow there are wonderful volunteers who are coming to hang a ceiling and paint the walls a lovely color called Snow Fall.  And then Sunday the floor will begin to be laid. The push is on because there is possibility that Bruce might come home on Wednesday and begin intensive outpatient therapy on Thursday.  God is so very good and love always wins!

 

“Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever.”

Ephesians 3: 20-21

 

Tonight I give thanks to God that each step of this journey has been a step forward. I love the words in this passage, “exceedingly, abundantly and above all that we ask or think…” Each time Bruce calls and we work to figure out what he needs or what he tries to tell me I see the power of God that works in us according to His Word. I know there will be waiting for the language and other skills to be retrained and restored. There is much to be learned in this journey of expectant waiting. Bruce still has much to re-learn. This is a long-term journey, but I pray this does not go on forever. And even if everything is not restored then I have every reason to be hopeful that what is not restored will be made new and proclaim the glory of God. The Director of the Residence facility (and woman of faith) told me that one day Bruce will have a mighty story to tell. But the one thing I will not have to wait for is to see God at work in Bruce and in our lives bringing about those exceedingly abundant things promised in God’s Holy Word. I see God working in Bruce and in our lives with the dawn of each new day.

 

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares on the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway and there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you, Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: