Monday, August 5, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Monday!  The pharmacy at CNS was having some difficulty getting all of Bruce’s medications together. So Geni and I took the bag of medicines I took to the ER on July 16. Bruce was completing his education therapy and going to PT. We met his education teacher. She told us his addition and subtraction are really good, but the multiplication and division are a struggle right now. Bruce is working so hard according to the therapists that it will just take time for the pieces to return to their rightful place. He is very independent within the clinic to the point that when one therapy is finished they tell him where to go next and he walks to the area without assistance or further direction. Tonight when Geni and I went over for a while he had requested the bathroom scales and his medicine planner container.  While we were watching Shark Week, he checked the batteries in the scale and accurately reset the time and weighed himself. He continues to amaze me. Tomorrow he will be getting a check-up at the clinic by the doctor. We have been asked to be present and then tomorrow night we will celebrate Geni’s 26th birthday at Bruce’s apartment. On the agenda will be Boston Market, a small Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake and a gift or two.  God is good and love wins!

“Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.”

Psalm 105: 3

Tonight a sweet friend of mine called shortly after 9:00 and asked if she was calling too late. I told her no, “Sleep was something I remember.” I have been averaging about 4 hours per night. I do not sleep well when Bruce is absent from my side and lack of sleep has caused some weariness. But I am learning a great lesson in this journey. I am learning about how God is a collaborative God. When I spend time each day directing my thoughts to God repeatedly then God and I collaborate on the tasks of the day. If I am attentive to God through a sustained effort then the drain on me seems less. This is a prayer privilege that takes practice. I keep my tablet on the night stand and after I have gotten a cup of coffee (priorities!) I get back in bed and read a devotion and have a prayer time before I get up to dress and take on the day. I repeat this pattern before going to sleep. This is helping me to remember that God is up all night watching over Bruce and me and all of God’s children and hopefully is helping me to get a little more sleep.  The good news is that I give a great many thanks during my prayers and often fall asleep during my prayers. So I am going to sleep while in conversation with my Savior. I don’t think God minds.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a grateful heart, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. After all, God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

Prayer request: I have one last project to finish. It is to clean out Bruce’s office. Bruce is not a hoarder. He is a keeper. It is a mammoth undertaking. Pray for me to take this project on in small pieces and to be steadfast and not give up. Thanks. gc

No comments: