Thursday, August 8, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Thursday! Bruce takes a test each evening with the person who stays with him at night. It is a test filled with questions like, “What is your name? What is the date? What state do you live in? What city…? Where are you now? …” and many others. To pass this test Bruce has to get 15 correct. He writes his answers. Most of the time he gets at least 15 correct. Most of the writing is accurate and the remainder is what we might call in school “inventive spelling.”  Bruce also called me this afternoon to ask how to make chicken. His language did not work out, but with the help of his supervisor she was able to discern what he wanted and I was able to tell him how to prepare the chicken. When I got to his apartment tonight it smelled awesome. I think between the three of us his meal was a success. The staff continues to tell me that he is doing so well and I am so grateful. He also had visitors tonight. They were a couple from the Kairos community. He so enjoyed their visit. He was not shy about talking and with patience the language was received and we all had a wonderful visit. But I have to admit, living alone is not fun and I really miss Bruce a lot. I know he is in the exactly right place for healing and brain retraining. The coordinator tonight talked to me and said how she prays for him because one day he is going to have a mighty story to tell.  I totally agree with her. God is good and love wins. Keep loving and praying friends. Thank you.

“And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Exodus 33: 14

“MY PEACE IS A SOFT, SOOTHING PILLOW FOR  your weary head.” This is the opening sentence from my devotion tonight .It also tells me to whisper, “I trust You, Jesus” while I relax—body, mind and soul in My protective Presence. When I miss Bruce so much especially at night God reminds me that He understands everything about me and our circumstances. I trust in God and thank God for all of the riches in blessing we have received in Bruce’s survival and the mighty witness he is each day as he works to hard fully recover. While I have trouble understanding him sometimes God understands each syllable Bruce says just as He understands my prayers whether spoken or silent. I do not know what the future holds for us, but I do know that while we are apart we are not alone. We have a wonderful Helper in the Presence of the Holy Spirit that is tender, loving and wise beyond all understanding and is achieving more than we can ever imagine and beyond all understanding.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

PS This morning I awoke with a text message from Bruce that said, “I love you.”

No comments: