Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy Tuesday!


I think my sermon is ready for practice preaching. Sometimes when I write sermons I talk through them as I write. Say a prayer as I practice this sermon and hone it to a talk that will have meaning to the folks at Hurst Christian and that God will be pleased.

Prayer:  Lord, You are the light of the world. I am so very grateful that when the world seems dark Your light is always there to remind me that You are Present and in Your Presence I can only choose You and not focus on the hurt and the wrongs. It is in Your light that I can learn to accept Your will and Your guidance. Thank You, Lord for walking with me in the way of hope and peace. Lord, in You mercy, hear this prayer. Amen.

“You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light.”

2 Samuel 22: 29

I really don’t like the dark. I especially do not like the dark and being alone. I hear noises that most likely are not there and imagine all sorts of things. So, if you have read my journal entries at all you know that when Bruce is away I put The Ten Commandments on the DVD and turn on lots of lights. This does not conquer my dislike of the dark, but it helps me sleep and not hear noises.

Here is the good news. I am making progress in this area. I am usually asleep before the narration in the movie even begins. I am learning to be an overcomer. I am not perfect at it yet, but I am doing a little better.

God calls us to walk along with Him in the way of peace and trains us to turn our thoughts to Him in the times that are good and in the times that are sometimes dark and difficult. The point is that God is with us in the light and in the darkness. The way we make the darkness bright is when the way seems very dark we must focus our attention on God and seek His face. 

When we seek God, the darkness gets pushed back and we are bathed in His invincible light. Jesus’ very Word tells us, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8: 12) We are followers of this loving and caring Jesus who shows us the way through darkness into light by reminding us to trust His heart.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares on the Lord and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.


Prayer alert: Prayer warriors please continue to pray for us. Thank you. gc

No comments: