Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy Monday!


I have been “walking around” in the text of The Good Samaritan; Luke 10: 25-37. It is a power packed text. I was taught by a fine professor that when a story has several layers, just to pick one for your sermon this time and then perhaps do another one next time. I have currently titled my sermon “Have you heard the one about Jesus and the Lawyer…?  It is my plan to write the sermon tomorrow and practice the remainder of the week. Say a prayer as I prepare this text for the folks at Hurst Christian Church this coming Sunday. Thanks.

Prayer request:  Please pray for Randy Travis. He is in a Dallas hospital with a virus in his heart and is in critical condition. I know his press has not been very good lately. He has been one of my favorite singers for a very long time. I have seen him twice in concert at different churches and he was wonderful. Let us pray for his restored wellness and healing.

Prayer:  Lord of the enduring spirit. Sacred scripture tells us the Law of God is to love the LORD your God with all you heart all your soul, all your mind and all your strength and your neighbor as yourself. Lord, strengthen us to carry out this great commandment. Sometimes this means that loving is not easy, but You keep the word all in front of us. If we do not love all then we have failed in this great commandment and we have failed You. Forgive us LORD when we do not love as we should. Teach us to love as You love and to see You in all we meet.  We also pray that others see You and Your love in each of us. Lord, in You mercy, hear this prayer. Amen.

Our citizenship is in heaven, And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.”

Philippians 3: 20-21

I don’t know whether God gives us mountains to climb or if life presents situations that require the skills of a mountain climber in terms of spiritual endurance, but I know that the journey is not complete until we have scaled the mountain and reached the top. Mountain climbing is tough, especially when you are an inexperienced climber and the peak looks very far away and the grade looks very steep. It is during the climb that we really wish it was easier and less complicated and we entertain thoughts of giving up. Here is the thing - when we go through really hard situations in life just like the peak of the mountain we cannot always see the top, but we still know it’s there. We don’t know how the problem is going to be resolved but rest assured that it will resolve itself one way or another.

As believers in God we can trust that God knows the way and has already mapped out the path and walked it ahead of us. Then the best part is that God will walk with us in love and not let us give up even when our strength gives out. As we walk the mountain of our hurt we will be given the skills and encouragement to continue. The grade of the journey might become steep and scary, but God is our strength and will give us the tools of faith, trust, joy, hope and gladness that defeat the enemies of fear, anger, brokenness and sadness.

My friends, each day we are given is a day of thanksgiving filled with challenges. Habakkuk 3: 19 tells us, The Lord God is  my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hind’s feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and may [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks with a grateful heart, let us cast our cares upon the Lord and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.


PS Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I believe that the prayers of the prayer warriors and the One who hears the prayers are breaking though the icy wall of forgiveness.  Thank you, dear friends.

No comments: