Monday, July 8, 2013

Blessed Sunday to you all!


Prayer:  God of grace and love, God of forgiveness and hope, God Who is bigger than all things, God who knows us so well that You have counted the very hairs on our head and called us Your children, each day You direct Your love to each of us and at night You sing the song of rest and comfort because You are the God of our lives in our rising and our sleeping. You give countless blessings and I am sure we do not give thanks for all of them. Lord, open our eyes to the power of the Holy Spirit so that we may see and receive the blessings You so kindly and freely give.

“When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. My soul follows close behind You; Your right hand upholds me.”

Psalm 63: 6-8

I sing to God in my prayers at night. Sometimes a song comes to me and I sing (silently) to God and it helps me to remember the gift of song I have been given as a blessing. When I sing I imagine God on the throne of grace and mercy and seek His face and enjoy His peaceful presence. Singing to God is a very intimate experience and I give thanks that it is a part of my prayer life. My most favorite hymn is Be Thou My Vision. One of the verses has this as its final line, “Waking or sleeping Thy Presence my light.” Sometimes, from another song I sing the phrase, “When there’s nothing left to do but just depend on You and the power of Your name.” I have sung these two songs a lot lately!

Whether we are awake or asleep God is present with us guiding us through each day and singing us to sleep at night. When a situation is difficult, seek God’s face and listen for a song. When I want God to sing to me I open up sacred scripture to the Book of Psalms and ask to hear God’s voice. There are 150 songs in that book. One of them will sing a word of praise, thanksgiving, comfort, peace, love; bring a word of hope or healing. We can count this book as a blessing.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint! Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the Lord and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.



I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: