Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Happy Tuesday!

Laundry is finished and the sermon is almost done. I am meeting with the pastor of Hurst Christian tomorrow to go over the bulletin and worship procedures. 

Prayer alert:  Bruce has injured his other hip and it is giving him a great deal of pain. He went to the chiropractor today and has another appointment on Friday. Please pray for him to be comfortable enough to sleep and well enough to work without pain. Thank you, friends.

Prayer: Blessed Lord, healer of every ill, tonight I ask you to ease Bruce’s pain. I also ask that as I complete the sermon I am writing that Your anointing will be on me as I learn what you would have me learn and say the words You would have me say to this congregation to further Your kingdom. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.”

2 Corinthians 9: 15

When I read this verse tonight I thought of the centurion in the passage from Luke, the scripture I am using as a basis for my sermon for Sunday.  The story includes an act of healing, but it does not focus on the healing of the centurion’s servant.  The story focuses on the faith of the centurion. In Luke’s account the centurion never even has a face to face encounter with Jesus, but simply believes on Jesus’ Word. It is obvious to me that the centurion heard Jesus speak and began to believe in the God of Israel.  This centurion was a Gentile and possibly a Roman who was probably not overly fond of the Israelites and vice versa. This centurion was given faith as a gift of God’s marvelous grace. This centurion was a first fruit and a foreshadowing of what Jesus had come to bring about.

The gift of the kingdom of heaven belongs to all who believe. Jesus is not impressed with titles, degrees (I really hope Jesus will be pleased with my rapidly approaching degree!) and achievements. Jesus is impressed with those who really do humbly believe Him.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks with a grateful heart and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: