Sunday, May 26, 2013

Blessed Sunday to you all! 

We began our day in Rockett, Texas. Our longtime friend Rev. CD Haun  retired from the ministry today after 50 years of ministry. The last 25 years have been at the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ in Rockett and Palmer, Texas.  I have done supply preaching for him in the last few years. There was a wonderful crowd that included his wife Sherry, daughter Megan and son Kenneth.  We have known these folks for over 30 years and used to live across the street from them when we were first married. In a week they will be moving to Colorado Springs to be closer to their daughter and her family. We will miss these long time friends. 

Prayer alert:  It is back to the books for me as I must prepare a sermon for next Sunday at the Hurst Christian Church. And my paper for my class on God and a Woman is due the following week. Pray for me to craft a meaningful sermon, listening to God as I write and that when I deliver this sermon it contains the words that God would have me say for the uplifting of this sweet congregation.

Prayer:  Precious Holiness, thank You that we may receive this day by Your grand design. Thank You for breathing Your life into each of us and in all we do. Thank You for this day of worship hearing Your Word read, preached, sung and prayed.  May we take the words of faith and the strength found in You and bless others in the coming week.  In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

“The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.”

Psalm 28: 7

From my meditation “I EMPOWER YOU—INFUSING INNER STRENGTH into you so that you are ready for anything and equal to anything. It’s essential to remember that this inner strength comes through Me. It comes to you as you need it—as you take trusting steps of dependence, moving forward with your eyes on Me.”

WOW!  I am preparing a sermon on the text from Luke 7: 1-10.  It is the story of the healing of the slave of the centurion.  I think about the inner strength and humility it took for the centurion to ask Jesus to heal this slave that he valued so much. As I have studied this passage throughout this afternoon I have come to understand some of the character and faith of the centurion. He cared deeply for this one who was in need of healing and, as a Gentile, was willing to risk asking this Jewish leader of whom he had heard so much to heal this slave.  He took a risk in faith that crossed racial and ethnic boundaries in order to have the Savior heal his slave. The centurion knew he, himself had power and authority, but he also knew that Jesus had the power to heal. To seek out the Savior was worth the risk.

We are not ready for every situation that comes into our lives. God provides perfect strength when we need it for everything that touches our lives. We must be willing to access this strength through staying connected to God in prayer and getting to know God more deeply through continuing to read and study the Holy Scriptures and talking about them with others.  

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.



I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: