Tuesday, April 30, 2013


Happy Tuesday! 

If you are friends with me on FB you read that I made a new recipe today. It was a pecan pie made in a crock pot. This is a recipe that I will make again. It is super easy and does not heat up your house. Tonight I made red beans with ham, rice, cornbread and, for dessert, crock pot pecan pie (served in bowls like cobbler), Bluebell Homemade Vanilla and cups of Starbucks coffee. It was definitely a meal worth repeating.

Prayer:  Holy and loving Lord, I give thanks that You remain with us in all of our times. The depth of the riches of Your store house of grace, strength, forgiveness, love and tender mercies are beyond our comprehension. It is only through Your Presence in our lives that we find joy when it seems as joy is out of our sight. Thank You for being at work in all of the situations in our lives out of Your love for us. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out.”

Romans 11: 33

Today I began to read and research for the other paper I have for this semester. I am writing a paper for Religion and Immigration about immigration through the Book of Ruth. As I was reading, the closing of one of the sections had a sentence prayer: “God, keep me on the course you have in mind for me.”  I am thinking of writing this on a piece of paper and placing it somewhere where I can see it when I am studying and writing.

Each of us has to face hardships and adversities in our lives. It is at these times hard to find Joy. When there is a time of confusion it is also sometimes hard to find God. For me, at that point, I remember that God is not the author of confusion. It is then that it is time to pray, “Jesus help me find You in the midst of this mess!”  God is bigger than all of our messes and melt downs. God invites us to unload our emotions during these times. When we unload our emotions on God then that creates space for God to speak, move in and work and things get better. Here is the key - we must remain in God’s Presence. We can find our joy once again when we stay connected to God. Remember, God is present during our adversity and His matchless wisdom is capable of bringing good out of evil and helping us clean up the messes that happen in our lives.  Seeking solutions to our problems is important, but if all we do is try to find solutions then we will sink under the weight of the problem or crisis. If we seek God first and ask Him to enter into the mess or crisis with us then the weight of the burden is lifted and we are able to listen and find peace. 

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray for those in need and with a heart filled with gratitude and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: