Tuesday, April 16, 2013


Happy Monday!

I know each of us is sad over the horrific tragedy, loss of life and injury that happened in Boston today.  My prayers are for those families who lost loved ones and those who have suffered severe injuries. I pray there will be no more lives lost.  I pray for the city of Boston as they are mourning and in shock that this happened during a time honored sports events. May God forgive those who planned and executed this terrible act of senseless violence. May God comfort those who have lost their loved ones today and may He bring healing to those who were injured and bring them to wellness and restored health.

I hope all of you survived tax day well. I had a most unusual experience today. I am sure that in my college career this has never happened before. A professor of mine cancelled a paper we were supposed to write. OMG!!! Write one less paper…what a gift!  I am giving thanks. Now I have two papers left and completing my supervised ministry final. 

The scripture in my meditation tonight seems fitting.

“Consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.”

Hebrews 12: 3

Satan did not defeat Jesus at the cross. Jesus became weary but not discouraged and His soul was always in perfect obedience to God. Satan will not win the battle through the awful event today either. The children’s advocate and TV celebrity Mr. Rogers was told by his mother when he was a child when he would see scary things on TV, to look for the helpers. There are always more helpers than anyone else.  As I watched the recordings of the events in Boston today I looked for the helpers.  Mr. Rogers’ mother was right. There were lots of helpers who stopped what they were doing to help others who were hurting and scared. These were not just the emergency workers and police officers but folks on the side lines who were just moments ago cheering on the athletes,  stepped into what might be harm’s way to help other folks who were injured and frightened.  I think this may serve to remind us of how much we need a sovereign God in our lives who loves and cares for us in the best of times and the most difficult.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray for the folks in Boston, give thanks with a grateful heart and get some sleep. Love you, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alert:  Bruce leaves for the Allred Prison on Thursday for the Kairos Prison Ministry. Pray for the teams as they prepare to take the gospel into the prison. Pray for the residents who are preparing to receive the gospel and the unconditional love of God through prayer, Word, singing, conversation, delicious home cooked meals, letters of encouragement  and lots and lots of cookies.  Peace, gc

No comments: