Saturday, January 5, 2013


Happy Saturday!  

Tonight I mixed waffle batter with cornbread dressing and made Thanksgiving waffles.  I topped these waffles with mashed potatoes, roasted turkey slices, gravy and whole berry cranberry sauce.  Totally delicious! 

Just a quick update:  I am not posting this on FB, but letting the readers of the journal know that Bruce and I are getting away for a few days.  The only electronics we are taking with us are our phones.  So, I won’t be posting for several days next week. 

Prayer:  Lord it is much easier to read Scripture than to live Scripture.  All week, as I have thought about serving You, the daily challenge to really put it on the line has increased.  I cannot do this apart from Your power and strength. My natural desire is for comfort, so I ask You to help me follow You in times of testing. You gave Your life for me; now teach me how to give my life for Your kingdom. Amen.

“He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.”
John 12: 25, 26

By God’s good grace a year from now I will be graduated from Brite and well on the way to ordination.  Sometimes I get a little scared and wonder if I am doing the right thing.  Am I really following God’s calling?  As I am nearing the end of my schooling sometimes I wonder if will there be a job for me out there.  Am I willing to sacrifice time away from my family for the “sake of the call?” Will I ever be able to pay back the massive financial debt incurred while pursuing this calling I have been so sure (most of the time) I have been called to act upon?  

A Kairos brother of Bruce’s is an Air Force fighter pilot trainer. He says that the enemy doesn’t start shooting at you until you are close to the target.  What a great analogy!  I am nearing the end of the preparatory path and will embark on the mission of the gospel and Satan has begun to plant the seeds of doubt. 

Following Jesus is not always easy; it is not always simple and honestly it is not always fun.  But Jesus has called us to follow Him wherever He goes and to go where He sends us. We are called to act on His behalf being led by the Holy Spirit.  When I think about why I do this, I remember the call God placed on me while I sat on that bench outside the elevator at MD Anderson. I held and attempted to comfort the young wife who was crying over the devastating illness her husband was facing, giving her the words God put on my heart and in my mouth. I remember why I do this.  I remember that I not only want people to see God in me, but I want those I encounter to know how God sees them so they can see how God lives in them.  I remember that I want to help those who are dying to die with the hope of the resurrection and their families to live on in that same hope of resurrection. 

When we follow Jesus there are always choices to be made.  I know that I cannot always have my way and follow Him.  But once I choose Him then I know that all of my goals, desires and ambitions must fall in line with those of Christ.  I do not promise to do everything right, but I do choose to follow Christ. Say your prayers my friends.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  See you in worship. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 
  

No comments: