Wednesday, January 2, 2013


Happy Wednesday! 

Today, Geni and I were invited to accompany Sarah, my daughter-in-love, to shop for her wedding dress.  I have never entered a bridal shop before as my grandmother made my wedding dress 32 years ago.  Two of Sarah’s bridesmaids were present so they shopped for dresses, too.  Today was not only fun but successful as the bride and the bridesmaids selected dresses and they have been ordered!! It was great fun!

Prayer:  “Lord, help me to remember all of the benefits You bring into my life. Sometimes I get so preoccupied with the concerns of life that I simply fail to pause and remember all You do for me. Because You are the God of my salvation, please save me from my own selfishness. Help me to take the time and really consider all the good things that I receive directly from Your hand. I want to be mindful of all Your benefits. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

“Blessed be the LORD, who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation! Selah.”
Psalm 68: 19

According to my meditation the word Selah is equated to the musical word for rest. In music rest is a brief silence in the music of varying lengths as the composer has written.  So perhaps we should take a moment of silence or rest and reflect, contemplate and let God’s Word soak itself into our heads until it has found its way into our hearts. 

How often do we stop long enough to contemplate the benefits we have as children of God?  You know there are occupations out there that carry no benefits.  Benefits are often the perks that come with the package of being employed by a company.  Being children of God, we are not employees, we are family.  Our benefits never change.  We have the benefits of eternal salvation, forgiveness, grace, love and tender mercies for all eternity with the assurance that the storehouse of these benefits will never be emptied!

We are not only children of God, but we are also servants of God.  More of our benefits include life, love, purpose, friendship, community and peace.  Our God is a God of generosity who provides.  As we serve God each day let us remember to bless God’s name and forget none of the benefits.

Take joy in this new journey of 2013.  Wear comfortable shoes, throw an extra blanket on the bed and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and benefits and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: