Thursday, January 3, 2013


Happy Thursday! 

I was so blessed to get to spend the day with one of my dearest friends, Tammy Dugan.  She was the principal at Burton Hill when I retired, was a great friend during the time I taught and remains a close friend today.  We went to the new outlet mall in Grand Prairie.  Very cool place.  Definitely going to return! I love girl days!!

Also, I received an email from Brite today telling me that one of my classes was not going to make due to low enrollment.  I was given the option of swapping the class or taking a different history class this summer.  I have decided to do both. My new class is Exegesis in Hebrew Bible:  Exodus.  I love the Hebrew Bible (also known as the Old Testament) and I think the study of the book of Exodus will be awesome.  The stories are great!!

Prayer: “ Lord, please help me today to remember that the instruments You use for measuring greatness are very different than the ones we use.  The way You measure greatness is the only one that really matters.  Please help me to make the right decisions today and to seek Your approval. Amen.”

“Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be our servant. And whoever  desires to be first among you, let him be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many?”
Matthew 20:  26-28

Who do we look on as great?  Is the title great given to the one who has the most, is first in their class, is the best, the wealthiest, the fastest, or someone who has profound achievements?  We celebrate great victories in sports and elections.  But when do we consider a servant to be great among us? There are many people who work in the service industry but are paid low salaries.  Yet it is those who serve as teachers, firemen, police officers, city workers and others who offer themselves each day who make a profound difference in each of our lives. 

God does not look at greatness by worldly standards.  God values the kindness of our hearts and the way we treat others as greatness.  When we begin to see others as Christ sees them, that causes others to see themselves as Christ sees them - as children of God.  The values of the King of heaven and the heavenly realm are far different than the values of the world. 

Many folks look to the heroes of this world to model their lives.  Perhaps we need to look to the greatest servant as our example to model our lives.  For only those who are servants of God understand what Jesus meant by greatness and to live their lives in the footsteps and with the character of Christ.  In this world those who are looked upon as great stand on stages and receive applause and praise.  Our finest and most humble example of greatness never stood on a stage, but hung on a cross and served those who hung with Him. 

Take joy in this journey. Wear comfortable shoes, throw an extra blanket on the bed, stay warm and get some sleep.  The weather is supposed to be a bit treacherous tomorrow so be extra careful.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: