Monday, October 22, 2012


Blessed Sunday to you all! (Apologies for the time difference between the writing and the posting of this blog - it took this email a while to make it to Tennessee and back)

This writing is being done late. Thank you for your prayers as Bruce has safely arrived in Memphis at Dale and Gayle’s house. 

The Dog Park at 811 Austin Street was in full force today as all five dogs with their respective owners came over for chili dogs for dinner.  Tomorrow I will take Geni’s dog to the vet for her spaying appointment.  Geni is asking for prayers for Penny. 

I participated in worship, beyond singing in the choir today and led the time of prayers in both services.  I love to pray and it was a joy to share in this prayer time with both congregations.  Then afterwards I met Bruce for lunch as he was going to leave right after.  As soon as I got out of the car he asked, “Did you know you are still wearing your mic?”  In my haste to meet Bruce for lunch I forgot to take off the lapel mic.  I will return it tomorrow.  We had a good laugh and I felt pretty silly.

Prayer:  “Lord, I want to start this day with You. Before the rush of the day starts, I want to tell You that I love You and want to walk closely with You. Help me to not be overcome by any evil but to overcome evil with good. Help me to be compassionate! Help me to show love even to the unlovely, knowing that it will make You smile. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

“if your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he is thirsty; give him water to drink; for so you will heap coals of fire on his head and the LORD will reward you.” 
Proverbs 25: 21-22

This scripture has always bothered me.  The first two phrases are so what Jesus says about loving and caring for those even our enemies.  And the last phrase never did seem to make sense until today.  (I know I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes.) 

I read a story once about a couple who had a terrible argument at bedtime.  Harsh and hurtful words were said and the wife of the couple was devastated and deeply hurt. The couple turned away from each other for the night. Being unable to sleep she began to pray and found this scripture and meditated on it for the night.

She got up the next morning and prepared a beautiful breakfast of her husband’s favorite foods and served it to him in bed.  When the husband received the beautifully prepared meal he broke into tears and told her of the problems he had been having at work and the stress he had been feeling.  He apologized for the argument and they began to talk.

When we harbor resentment in our hearts most of the time the only one who feels the hurt is us. Even though we were not the cause of the problem sometimes we are the target of the harsh and hurtful treatment.  Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies in spite of what they do to us even though sometimes these folks are really hard to love. When someone has hurt us in words or deeds they do not often know how to respond to love and forgiveness. When we forgive those who have hurt us out of love and compassion then we have the love of God within us.

 Jesus’ path is harder, but it is also better because it carries the spiritual promise from God.  To respond to our enemies with love is truly an act of godly love and exhibits the character of God in our lives. 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.



No comments: