Tuesday, September 18, 2012


Happy Monday! 

I have been invited to continue the ordination process.  That is a gracious way of saying “I passed!” The committee was very affirming of me and the ministry to which I am called.  

My two growing edges are to be able to articulate better about the Disciples faith and theology and to clearly articulate why being set apart for ordination is different than being laity. I will better be able to address the issues of Disciples faith and theology after (1)a year of supervised ministry in a Disciples church and (2)the class I will take in the fall of 2013 on disciples History and Polity. 

I have a few months to work on these issues as my next interview will be after April.  If I pass the next one then I will go on to the final ordination interview in front of 20—30 people.  

After this semester I will have 20 hours remaining on my degree.  That should put me graduating at Christmas of 2013.  My final interview most likely not happen until after graduation.  Thank you for all of your loving, caring and prayerful support.

Prayer:  “Lord, crouching at the door is the Enemy of all that is holy, righteous, and good.  He waits for me, seeking to devour me. By Your strength deliver him a mighty blow today through my life.  I am no match for him. But he is no match for You.  Steel my nerves, quicken my mind, strengthen my shield of faith, and guide my arms to wield the sword of Your Word.  May the gospel go forth from my lips today.  May Your victory be heralded in the earth and in the heavens once again—through me—this day, In the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.”

“Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”
1 Timothy 6:12

One of the aspects of a seminary education is that it will expose you to a large variety of thoughts given by others on passages of scripture.  I must openly admit that sometimes the thoughts of others on passage of scripture make me really uncomfortable until I really study and think them through.  I was told that seminary would challenge my theology.  My studies have not challenged my theology, but they have caused my understanding to increase and have caused me to think about some things differently.  In thinking about those different thoughts I must choose whether to embrace what they are thinking or discard it as something that does not fit into my own personal theology.  Now here is the cool part…as long as I can defend my own thoughts or opinion, all is well.  I have just wrestled with one of those passages and written a reflection for my New Testament class.  I expressed my theological thoughts on the subject without compromising my beliefs. 

Paul gets to the end of 1 Timothy and calls the believer to “fight the good fight of faith.” By the end of 2 Timothy Paul is facing execution and says he has fought the good fight.  He did not apologize for his beliefs, his writing or his preaching.  He followed the calling God gave to him and did not compromise his thoughts even though the challenges were great in his context of writing and preaching.  Paul’s ultimate goal in his life after his encounter with Christ was to hear these words, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  (Matt. 25: 21) 

Are we willing to stand on the Word of God, love others, hate our own sin and fight the good fight without compromise?  Something to think about…

Take joy in this journey of faith!  Wear comfortable shoes (I wore heels today and did not take my own advice.  I am such a girl!)  and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: