Friday, September 21, 2012


Happy Friday! 

Prayer:  “Lord, I thank You for the church.  I thank You for my local church.  Teach me today to love the church as You love it.  You made the greatest sacrifice for the church. Show me how to do the same. God, You gave Your Son for the church. Give me the courage to give obediently to my church. Lord, give me grace to love the members of my church and cherish them as You do. In Jesus name, Amen.”

“For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.”
Ephesians 5: 29

I was talking with a friend the other day who remembered a time when he had gotten away from the church and lost his faith.  I do not remember a time in my life when I was not a part of a church and I do not remember a time in my life when I did not have a faith.  

I was just a little girl in Mrs. Orr’s Sunday School class when I attended the church in Howe. I remember getting into trouble for not behaving in worship.  I also remember a time when I was pregnant with Travis. We were going through a really hard time when we went to Christmas Eve Communion.  I remember being very emotional by the time I reached the altar to receive communion. The pastor met me these with these words, “Gaylene, gain your strength from here.” 

I rejoice in believing that God watches over the Church.  If you go to a Kairos Prison Ministry closing one of the things you will here is this question, “Who is the Church?” and with a deafening response the residents respond, “We are the church!”  What joy that must bring our Savior! 

God made the supreme sacrifice on the Cross to purchase the Church.  The Church is the body of Christ.  We are the body of Christ.  God nourishes and cherishes the Church including us as we are followers of Christ.  Nourishment brings strength.  God will help the church and protect us for He desires good for us and pays attention, feeding our souls giving us strength for the journey.  The body of Christ is the central focus in the mind of Christ and the first love of His life and the object of His sovereign work. 

Take joy in this journey of faith.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: