Tuesday, July 17, 2012


Happy Tuesday! 

I am sorry I haven’t written in a couple of days. With assignments in my CPE class and ordination writing due today (both are now complete and sent off!), I could not write any more.  All of my brains had leaked out of my head and landed on the pillow.  It is really great to write again.

The 24 hour “on call” at JPS was completely amazing and totally exhausting.  The phone and pager went off during the hospital worship I was leading at 10:30 and did not stop until around 6:30 AM Monday morning.  I was pretty weary physically, but completely amazed at the way God worked in the lives of the patients during that time.

Prayer:  Father, as I begin this new day, I give You praise and thanksgiving for a good night’s sleep.  Thank You, heavenly Father, for the opportunities You’ll place in my path throughout the day.  Help me to be sensitive to Your Spirit that I might use godly discernment as You direct my steps.  Help me, O Lord, to be an example of Your love and goodness to those I encounter today.  In the precious name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

“This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts.”
Zechariah 4: 6

There is a great story in the book of Zechariah about a vision given by God to the governor of Judah.  In the vision God places a lampstand in the tabernacle with a very special feature.  This lamp collected a continuous supply of oil from two trees.  This oil kept the lamp burning continually.  The lamp symbolized God’s purpose for the Jewish nation to become a light for the Gentiles.

How can we look at this story so that it can have meaning for our lives?  To do that, we can compare the oil that fed the lamp to the Holy Spirit which constantly supplies God’s presence for each of us.  As a chaplain I always hope to bring a word of comfort to the folks I visit.  But when I am on call and it is very busy, not only does my body get weary, but my mind and soul begins to be in short supply of energy as well. Here is the good news, God’s work is not hindered by my weakness nor is God aided by my strength.  I am not called to be the energizer bunny, I am called to be an empty vessel, staying in the presence of God, willing to be filled with the Holy Spirit, to be used for the furthering of the kingdom of God.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Please keep Brenda and her family in your prayers as they prepare a memorial service for her mother.


No comments: