Saturday, July 14, 2012


Happy Saturday! 

Prayer:  Father, thank You for a day when we recognize Your presence through Your Word, Your people and the gift of prayer.  Help us to walk in Your Spirit today.  Help us to recognize Your Presence in every breath we take and every step we take giving thanks for Your very Word and Spirit that dwells within us.  We love you, Lord, so very much. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

“If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
Galatians 5: 25

The first time I was to be the on call chaplain for JPS I was pretty nervous.  It was a great big place and I didn’t know how to get around in it. I was also pretty sure that there were going to be situations arise that I had never dealt with before. But I was there to do a ministry and to be led by the Spirit. My hope was that I would not do any harm.  The good news for me that night was that a staff chaplain who works at JPS met me there and stayed with me for about three hours to show me around and help me to gain some landmarks as to how to get around and some of the logistics of the job. Too soon, his three hours with me had passed and he left me with a blessing and said, “It’s all yours now.” 

So as the calls began to come in I referred to my notes and spent most of the night being pretty lost and fumbling a lot.  However, each time I left the office with a look of total “Where am I?” someone crossed my path and asked where I needed to go and then either directed me or took me there.  I trusted the person leading me and I landed where I needed to be. 

I think that is how the Holy Spirit works in us.  As we begin our relationship with Christ, the Holy Spirit is so very present and we are so excited and thrilled over this new relationship that we have that “trust like a child” that no matter what happens we will land on our feet.  But as we progress through this life with Christ we need to renew that recognition that the Spirit continuously lives within us. We also need to remember that it is the Spirit that leads us as we encounter people, relationships and new events in our lives. 

Tomorrow I am on call at JPS.  It is Sunday and I have never been on call on Sunday.  I am to lead a worship service in the hospital and answer calls for 24 hours.  I recognize the Presence of the Holy Spirit within my heart and I pray that I will listen to that same Holy Spirit who will lead me to share God’s goodness and blessings with someone who needs it.  Please offer a prayer for the patients, guests, doctors, nurses, all other staff and me as we serve the patients tomorrow.  Thanks, friends.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Please lift up Brenda and her family as she lost her mother Saturday afternoon. Brenda’s mother and father had been married 68 years.

No comments: