Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Happy Tuesday! 

The funny of the day…I was visiting in the nursing home this afternoon.  There was a group of ladies playing what looked like a game of dominoes at a table in a large room.  So, I walked over to them and greeted them with, “Hey ladies, I am Chaplain Gaylene. You look like you are having fun. What are you playing?” One of the ladies said, “Rummycube. First we drink some rum and then we sort of cube and don’t care.”  I laughed all the way to my next stop.  They were hilarious, loud and proud and having a grand time.  I still laugh when I think about it.

Prayer:  “Father, give me a clean heart and clean hands to worship You all throughout the day. Help me worship You with my whole heart. Amen.”
“God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4: 24

As you can probably tell, the recent study through this writing has been emphasizing the Holy Spirit. I love spirit-filled worship.  I am in the process of writing a paper for my intermediate ordination interview.  One of the sections will be titled, Worship is for the Uplifting of the Community and Ministry and for the Furthering of the Kingdom.  

When folks visit our congregations for the first time they will make choices on two criteria; how they are greeted and how worship affected them. When we worship our experience might be routine in its order, but should never be mundane in its spirit.  Our worship should be an expression of who God is and that God is not dull or boring.  Our worship will never be equal to God’s worth, but we should always strive for excellence.

This scripture verse mentions to worship not only in spirit, but in truth.  The truth in worship is the reading, preaching, praying and singing of God’s Word.  God has told us that His Word is what is acceptable for worship.  Entertaining worship might be popular, but may not be life changing.  People are looking for worship that is genuine and authentic, led by those who are anointed for preaching, praying, praise and worship.  Folks who are anointed by the Spirit or called by God allow the Spirit of God to flow through them. When that happens, lives are changed.  “Only the Holy Spirit can enable sinful man to be transformed and worship a Holy God.”

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Much love to you all. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS. I am on call at JPS tomorrow night.  I will arrive at 6:00 PM and finish my shift at 8:00 AM Thursday morning.  Then it is back to Huguley for worship and debriefing and then home for the remainder of the day to rest. I ask your prayers for me to have stamina and the anointing of the Holy Spirit to help the ones who need God’s presence at the point of their deepest need.  Thanks and peace, gc


No comments: