Tuesday, June 5, 2012


Happy Monday! 

Please pray for Geni.  She is feeling somewhat (a lot!!!) overwhelmed at this moment.  She is trying to pack her room at school and put it away for the summer.  She is trying to pack her room at home to move into her new apartment and then soon unpack her apartment and move in. 

Prayer:  “Father, I love You.  It is my desire to walk through this day completely trusting in You.  As challenges come, help me to trust the sufficiency of Your grace and the strength of Your might to carry me through each struggle.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

“ And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, ‘O you of little faith, why did you doubt?’ And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.”
Matthew 14: 31, 32

I have always loved this story.  Yes, Peter began to sink when he stepped out of the boat after he took his eyes off of Jesus.  But at least he risked getting out of the boat while all of the other disciples stayed safely aboard.  But tonight I would like to focus on the question Jesus asks, “Why did you doubt?”

So let’s examine the word doubt.  The word doubt can mean attempting to go in two different directions at the same time or trying to follow two masters simultaneously.  These are impossible tasks. Thinking and acting in this way never works.  Peter did not sink because he stopped believing in Jesus.  He sank because he tried to trust in his ability to stay afloat. 

Okay Lutherans, listen up…faith is not about our ability; it is about recognizing and maintaining complete trust in Jesus.  When our faith is divided our failure is certain (and it isn’t good!).  My Disciples friends claim “No Creed but Christ.”  Let us trust in Christ alone.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  God has the watch tonight so there is no need for both of you to lose sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: