Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Wednesday, (more specifically, Ash Wednesday)!

We attended a very meaningful Ash Wednesday service tonight. I look forward to Ash Wednesday and the imposition of ashes. It is a visible reminder of God’s creative work in our lives as well as the reminder of the last 40 days of the life of Christ before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem during Holy Week. The call is for each of us to sacrifice something during these 40 days. Sacrifice can mean a denial of something or an adding of something to our lives. Usually when we add something to our lives what we sacrifice is time. I think adding a spiritual discipline is a great sacrifice. Maybe we could deny ourselves something and in its place like some extra prayer time or study in the Word. Just a thought…

Prayer: Lord, speak, for Your servant is listening. I will drown out all imposters and will hear only You, for You alone are God. Therefore, as Your sheep, I will only heed the voice of my Great Shepherd. Amen.”

Mark 9:7 “And a cloud came and overshadowed them; and a voice came out of the cloud saying, “This is my beloved son, Hear Him!”

Teachers say “listen to me!” about nine million times during their careers. We spend time creating signals for quiet in the classroom. The one I used throughout much of my career was: 1. Get Ready, 2. Listening Position, 3. My Turn. Get ready meant the students needed to find me in the room no matter where they were and look at me.

Listening position meant feet on the floor, hands in their lap and mouth closed. My turn meant that I was the only voice in the room to speak. Consequences were levied if these instructions were not followed. As the voice of authority I believed at that moment what I needed to tell the students was the most important message the children needed to hear at that moment. I needed the undivided attention of those children.

Jesus called Peter, James and John up to the mountain and was transfigured before their eyes. But God’s voice came from the cloud and identified Jesus to these three disciples and then told them “Listen to Him!” God prepared them with a commandment to listen to Jesus. God needed the undivided attention of these disciples.

Today there are so many voices that we hear throughout each day, but the voice that stands above all of these voices that we as believers should hear is the voice of God. The voice of God is the voice that will never lie. God’s voice speaks with compassion and truth. God’s voice is the voice that penetrates our heart and is the voice that can speak like no other. It is the voice of trust that calms our fears and is the voice of guidance leading us in the path of righteousness.

So instead of listening to all of the other voices when we are troubled, call on the One Voice that speaks above all others, God’s voice spoken through Jesus.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your payers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayers please: Without naming names we have a number of friends who are going through some rally difficult times. God knows who these friends are and what their needs are. Please pray for these friends and add to the circle of prayer support our friends need. Thank you. Peace, gc

No comments: