Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy Monday!

Today was spent in writing a reflection paper on Psalm 42. It begins with the words “As the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after Thee.” The song that is patterned after this psalm is one of my favorites. I have so enjoyed learning more about the psalms and love it when I discover that a song or hymn I know is built on one of the psalms.

Prayer: Father, I recognize my propensity to sin. I sense the constant battle between good and evil that wars within me. So I lean on Your Word and place my life under the lordship of the Son of God. In Jesus’ name I commit this day to You. Protect me today from myself, and place Your hedge of protection around me. Amen.”

1 John 3: 8 “He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.”

A long time ago someone talked to me about this scripture. Their explanation of this passage went something like this, “Satan does not attack those who are actively practicing their Christian lives. Those who are excited about their faith, who are sharing Christ with others each day, who are staying in the Word, who are having an active prayer life and who are worshipping regularly Satan does not bother with because Satan knows that he does not have a strong effect on those. They are living a life in piety. But those who are sort of rocking along and not actively working in their Christian life are the people who Satan seeks out. Satan will show them a way of life that might be very alluring and appeals to their pride or ego or some other earthly physical attribute.

Scripture also says, “Christians will be known by their fruits.” (Matt. 7: 16, 17, 20) Jesus became a part of our lives to do for us what we could not do for ourselves. Jesus can destroy the works of Satan. My meditation speaks of this in reference to the Garden of Eden saying, “After the original sin in the Garden of Eden, God declared war on Satan and promised ultimate victory!” (Gen. 3: 15) This promise was fulfilled in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. The Incarnate Christ was given to destroy the destroyer. We are not powerless but strengthened by the power of God in Christ Jesus. Because God through Christ Jesus fulfilled His purpose here on earth then we can fulfill our purpose too. Praise God from who all blessings flow!

Take joy in the journey! Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: