Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year! (a day late!)

After a whirlwind, topsy-turvy Christmas, the New Year was pretty low key. I don’t mind a day or two of routine and relative quiet. New Year’s Eve found all of us around the table for dinner and sending Geni, her boyfriend and Travis off to Victory Park in Dallas. I did not worry so much as they were very smart and took the train that dropped them off exactly at their destination. So for Bruce and I, it was movies, snacks, and the gift of a bottle of sparkling wine from a dear friend to toast in the new year and our 31st wedding anniversary. New Years Day found us at church for worship, then black-eyed peas, meatloaf and cornbread for lunch and then movies for our anniversary.

As for today, I have spent it studying. I am taking an intensive study class beginning next week. It is my goal for the week to get all of my reading done before class begins on Monday.

Mom update: Mom began rehab today and is learning to walk with a four footed cane. Tomorrow she will begin rehab on her elbow. We are hopeful that since the physical therapists do not work on Saturday and Sunday that maybe Dad can bring her home for the weekend on a pass. Offer a prayer, please. Dad is in the process of preparing the house for when she does come home. When I talked to Mom today I told her that with each step she takes she is closer to the door.

Prayer: “What a great morning You have given me, Father. Thank you for giving me this privilege of life, of knowing You, of having You with me constantly. I praise You for being always present at all places and at all times. A building or a body cannot contain all of You, O God, I present my body to You as a living sacrifice today, totally and unreservedly. I pray You will be comfortable dwelling in me and that I would be a holy habitation that honors You. Amen.”

The first line of my meditation begins with these words, “What self respecting woman would not want to keep her house as clean and uncluttered as possible?” Okay, in this house there is a handyman, a teacher, a graduate student and a strongman. This is a recipe for some clutter. Generally speaking if you come over there is a trail cleared, the dishes are washed and in the drainer and the hang-up clothing in the bathroom has been cleared from the shower rod (if you have called ahead). But upon entrance into our living room you are greeted warmly, offered a cup of coffee and a chair. My hope is that if you come for a visit you will feel welcome, comfortable and in a home where God is present and you are loved.

Maintaining a house in a neat and orderly fashion for the glory of God is important, but where we live is not near as important to God as the home in our hearts where God dwells. When God dwells in our hearts we bear His name all of the time. Because God dwells in our hearts it is important that we keep the house of God clean and uncluttered. We keep our houses clean through praying, studying the Word, worshipping regularly, serving others and learning to be better Christians by being around other Christians. You know everybody needs a little help keeping their house clean. Regular house cleaning is just a chore, but keeping the dwelling place for God, our hearts clean and uncluttered is a joyful privilege.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Please continue to pray for Mom. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: