Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy Monday.

This is Bruce. I have been asked to step in and write for Gaylene as she works on completing a rather significant paper which is due Wednesday. Before I begin, I want to wish Gaylene Happy Birthday!! Her birthday happened to coincide with my last day of official cardiac rehab, so we both celebrated.

I am beginning a 6 month journey. On this journey, with the help of God, I will collect a group of about 65 free world Christians from perhaps a dozen different denominations, join them together, train them into a cohesive group, and arrange for them to go inside a maximum security prison to take their story of what God has done for them to a group of 42 inmates. Some of the inmates will be Christians, some will not. The team will spend 3 ½ days with the inmates, eating with them, talking with them, listening to them, laughing with them, sharing with them, praying with them, teaching them…

By the time we finish our weekend in April with the inmates, for the most part, the inmates will have stopped being totally self centered individuals, and will have begun to not only care about but pray for others.

When I first began to work with the Kairos prison ministry, I told a fellow church member what I was doing. His response was “I think they should lock them all up and throw away the key”. My response was that we are not trying to get them out; we are trying to take God into them.

I have since changed that response because I have come to understand that there is no place on earth that man can be that God isn’t there, too. I found that God is already in the prisons, working among the inmates. The problem is that most of them are not “tuned” in to either see God or hear Him. The weekend helps these 42 to be able to see and hear God’s presence in their lives. As they come to know God, their lives are changed. Instead of putting up walls around themselves for self protection, they are able to reach out and care about others. It is the beginning of a changed life for many of them.

They are in many ways like we are. We get so involved in the “stuff” that occupies our days that we forget to watch and listen for God who works daily in our lives. We forget to look for and listen for the opportunities He gives us to share the love He has shown us with those who may not know Him or who may need a kind word to get them through the day.

I would encourage you to listen and watch for chances to share what God has done for you. People around you need to hear, need to experience God’s love. You may be the only chance they have.

Take joy in your journey. Share the Word. Share your story. God is good. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS - I would solicit your prayers for strength for this task and that I keep my focus on God during this journey. Peace.

No comments: